that these two subs are close in price. I plan on using it mainly

for HT with some music. One problem is the placement is rather limited

to next to my couchnear my front speakers. The room it is going into is

about 15x26 with one side opening into the rest of the house i.e. no

wall. The flooring is tile as well, soon to replaced by wood. Which sub

would be better suited for my needs????

Thanks for any input,

Dave

I am trying to find a sub that will fit my budget and it seems that these two subs are close in price. I plan on using it mainly for HT with some music. One problem is the placement is rather limited to next to my couchnear my front speakers. The room it is going into is about 15x26 with one side opening into the rest of the house i.e. no wall. The flooring is tile as well, soon to replaced by wood. Which sub would be better suited for my needs????

Thanks for any input,

Dave

Well the sub12 is down firing so it would work better on a main floor with wood or carpet on wood,This would give you more of the rummble than the front firing rw12,If you are going to use the rw12 it would work best if you used it on basement floor,Downfiring drivers do not work the best on concrete floors,I would go with the sub12 in your case,

I am trying to find a sub

that will fit my budget and it seems that these two subs are

close in price. I plan on using it mainly for HT with some music. One

problem is the placement is rather limited to next to my couchnear my

front speakers. The room it is going into is about 15x26 with one side

opening into the rest of the house i.e. no wall. The flooring is tile

as well, soon to replaced by wood. Which sub would be better suited for

my needs????

Thanks for any input,

Dave

Well

the sub12 is down firing so it would work better on a main floor with

wood or carpet on wood,This would give you more of the rummble than the

front firing rw12,If you are going to use the rw12 it would work best

if you used it on basement floor,Downfiring drivers do not work the

best on concrete floors,I would go with the sub12 in your case,

Using that description wouldn't the RW be better since it will be on a

tile floor which is over concrete? When I put the wood in it will still

be over concrete.

I am trying to find a sub that will fit my budget and it seems that these two subs are close in price. I plan on using it mainly for HT with some music. One problem is the placement is rather limited to next to my couchnear my front speakers. The room it is going into is about 15x26 with one side opening into the rest of the house i.e. no wall. The flooring is tile as well, soon to replaced by wood. Which sub would be better suited for my needs????

Thanks for any input,

Dave

Well the sub12 is down firing so it would work better on a main floor with wood or carpet on wood,This would give you more of the rummble than the front firing rw12,If you are going to use the rw12 it would work best if you used it on basement floor,Downfiring drivers do not work the best on concrete floors,I would go with the sub12 in your case,

Using that description wouldn't the RW be better since it will be on a tile floor which is over concrete? When I put the wood in it will still be over concrete.

ok i thought you were using the sub for the second level which would be a wood floor,so the rw 12 will be better for what you want,On concrete with wood over it or tile on top the rw 12 will be much better.

Ummm...would someone explain to me how the material of the floor would affect the sound of the subwoofer? I am most curious as to how someone can claim that wood and concrete behave differently at those wavelengths...Nevertheless, I would in no way let the type of floor be a factor in the subwoofer purchase.

So as far as which sub is better....well I've always been a fan of front-firing, front ported subs. But in this case, I strongly believe the sub-12 is the better performer. The difference between 21Hz and 24Hz (assuming both measured in the same conditions) is practically inaudible, but the extra 4dB of maxSPL from the sub-12 will be very noticeable....especially during loud sections in movies. If nothing else, you can think of it as 4dB less power compression.

Also, the advantages I associate with front-firing get negated when there isn't a clean line of site from the sub to the listening position. And since it seems you have a wide range of possible seating, there will be some advantage to the different polar response that is inherant to a down-firing design versus the more directionality of front-firing subs.

Nevertheless I have never heard either of them side by side (I don't think anyone has considering they are sold in two different stores). I can imagine that the RW-12 should sound better, but what is the price difference? And then what are the aesthetic issues? Seriously, in this situation it almost comes down to which subs fits your current scheme better.

I have been toying with the idea of purchasing one of these two subs myself...

From what I found, the Sub 12 can be had for about $475-550... right there with what the RW 12 can be purchased for.

I personally like the appearance of the front firing, copper colored RW12 much better... even with the grill on.

while the additional 4dB is significant, I want the best 'musicallity' (if that's even a word)

btw, I can hardly turn up my current sub without rattling the crap out of my windows. With that in mind, I think the money in my "Sub-Woofer-Fund" would be best spend on a couple tight dbl pane replacement windows at this time [:@]