Speaking of Reflex Ports - consider this...

D-MAN

The idea behind the exponential slot as a port-vent is that it presents a non-frequency specific exit for the waveforms, the respective wavelength exiting when it is able to "fit through" the slot.

A unique concept still being applied to patents today. The DIY folks have never really let go of this idea, and here are some examples.

I would love to try this myself, eventually. I got the following attachment on the AA website. This is an article by Fulmer, who also has a patent on it from the 50's. I can't find the patent right now but it is a bit more explanitory of the concept - I have it at home, if I remember, I'll post it tomorrow.

DM

post-13458-13819278815082_thumb.jpg

Yep, that's me all over, ain't it? I just happen to like corner speakers, I guess. I cannot seem to pass up any plans for a corner-style speaker!These can free-stand (if that's what you want - but why?!)...

I've lived with (and put up with) the tall-and-skinny rectangles that sit way out into the room long enough.

Corners, man, that's where its at! Way back into the corners...

I was thinking about the exponential slot for a port, and while I DO think that it might be a slight improvement over a simple cavity opening, the fact remains that the port is still just an exit for a Heimholtz (sp?) resonator, and that is always a very frequency-specific animal. However, if the exponential slot provides a slightly WIDER frequency bandpass (even just a couple of Hz) for the resonator, then very good - exploit it.

Simply put, I think it looks very COOL even if it is just a port opening. Cool enough to make whatever speaker its applied to a standout amongst its otherwise-ported ilk.

DM

Man, I like that full range driver setup! Wow!

*hijack*

How cool. I would love to build that. I have BD Design's twin driver TQWP for Fostex F103's. It sounds good - CLARITY - but lacking in bass. I would like to try another FR project sometime. Not for a while though. I'm too jazzed listening to my Cornwalls. They are the best thing since napkins.

*end hijack*

Cool port

-Mark