Help with speaker matching... KG4's

suffolk112000

Hello,

I am sorry if this questions has been asked over and over again, but my brother is getting into HT and needs a center channel that would timber match his old KG4 speakers which would be used for his left and right channels.

I noticed the other thread that was asking for advice on the KG3.5's but I didn't want to Hi-Jack it.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: If possible, do you have any recommendations for a new speaker that would match the KG4? He probobly would be skeptical of used internet items.

Craig

Hi Craig,

A KV-3 will be the closest match for a center channel to his KG4's unless he wanted to go with another KG4 as a center (best match). As for rear surrounds, any of the KG series will work. I went with the KG 1.2's. Both sets can be found on eBay for a reasonable price.

If he doesn't want to go the eBay route, I am not sure what would be a good fit to match up with his KG4's as mains, someone I am sure could chime in here.

Thanks for the tips. I don't have a problem with internet purchasing. I bought my whole set-up that way. I just don't want to tell him to get it from this or that on-line source and have the deal go south if you know what I mean.

Yes, I would love any other advice that other people may have to offer for speaker options. :)

Craig

Because the KV1, 2, 3, and 4 were designed and timbre matched to a totally different series of Klipsch speakers that's why.

The obvious best match but not that feasible in most applications is another KG4, next would be the KG 2.2V and lastly the KG 2.5V because they were specifically designed to match the KG series of speakers.

I am not saying that the KV2 or KV3 will not sound good, they will! They are nice centers but are not the correct matching centers for the KG line. So why not do things right? The benefits to it will be perfect pans across the front stage and seamless sound no matter what the source. It makes much more of a difference than most people think.

I get tired of the misinformation provided by people that quite honestly do not know what they are talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

I get tired of the misinformation provided by people that quite honestly do not know what they are talking about.

I apologize if I posted incorrect information, as when I was in my search for a center channel it was recommended to me that a KV3 was the best choice if a another KG4 could not be done.

With that said, a few questions to to mind:

1. Exaclty why is a KG 2.2V and a 2.5V better than a KV3?

because they were specifically designed to match the KG series of speakers.

Not sure if I agree with this, as when the KG4's were around (1988-1992) neither of these center channels were around. It wasn't untill 1992 were either of these produced?

2. What line were the KV center channels designed for?

Please advise so I do not post incorrect information int the future?

Hi Craig

here is how i handled a very slimlar situation for a family member,

i got a second of speakers for the rears and got the matching center channel (it's on going right know ) . the ones that i am doing are KG5.2
X4 plus a couple of up grades x overs and re foamed , and diphrams if i can find them.

know for the good stuff

1. how far are you from DC. there is a guy there selling his KG4's. worth the drive ? www.craigslist.com I pasted a copy of his listing

2. .I just mailed this moring a check for a pair of Kg 2.2 from sound ideals. I found the listing on www.audiogon.com i only need one can you find a loving home for the other ?

I am setting a 5.1 system their receiver, Yamaha #HRT 5540

hope this helps

you can pm me and we will talk on the kg 2.2

peace

yendor

wash, DC craigslist > electronics > pair klipsch kg4 speakers
last modified: Tue, 10 Jan 05:36 EST

Avoid scams & fraud by dealing locally:
· non-local deals involving shipping, wire transfer, or cashier checks are usually fraudulent
· there are no such things as "craigslist payment system", "craigslist buyer protection", or "craigslist seller certification"
· please report scam attempts to abuse@craigslist.org

please flag with care : [miscategorized] [prohibited] [spam] [discussion] [best of]

email this posting to a friend

pair klipsch kg4 speakers - $400

Reply to: sale-124087539@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-01-10, 5:36AM EST

both look good and both work good. email for photo.
i have 50 vintage audio items listed at audioasylum.com

this is in or around wash dc

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Copyright © 2006 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum photo
both look exactly the same-both made in 1985. both have front grills.

• Like 1