I have compared the '76 Khorn to the '84 Khorn: here are my impressions

lorcoll

Ciao to all.

Finally I have tried the '76 Khorn in the same place (and the same room) where I normally listen to '84 Khorn.

The '76 Khorn have K55-V (spring terminal), K77 (alnico) and the AA type (I have the old original and the beautiful A/AA from BEC).

The '84 Khorn have K55-M, K77-M and AK-2 type network.

Well!! The best sound is definitely the '84 Khorn: more articulated bass, more body in the mid and a magic atmosphere. But with one change: the K77 (alnico) in place of K77-M (a bit bright), the '84 Khorns are the best Speaker System I have ever heard.

Now I have bought the AK-3 from BEC to see if it is the best Klipsch Crossover.

Has anyone compared these or other Khorn combinations?

How about the build-quality between the two pairs? The 70's is supposed to be all plywood, that is NO MDF, and the 80's may have some MDF in them...

Aside from the internal components being older and/or different, the actual quality of the bass horns may differ slightly.

DM

People need to get off the plywood kick -- I think the MDF on the front and top really help to solidify the sound. People talk about the 'boomy' Klipschorn bass but I have no earthly idea what they're talking about.

The AK-3 is a great sounding filter.

I have today tried the K55-M in place of the K55-V (in the '76 Khorn with the AA crossover) and the mids are better.

I have ever thought that the 55V goes with the A or AA type and the 55M has to use with the AK series, now I know that it isn't true. It seems that the 55M is simply better than the 55V (with the spring terminals).

The K77 alnico sounds better in both speakers.

In the bass region I'll see, with the AK-3, if the differences are in the wood or in the network.