3 questions from a Home Theatre Newbie, mostly regarding RC-3 Centre Channel Speaker

Vaystrem

I just started my Home Theatre odessey in February and am finally going to pickup a centre channel (Klipsch RC-3) to fill out the system, and give me a centre speaker that will grow with me as i upgrade my towers and reciever down the road.

My current tower speakers have (what appears) to be a 6.5" hard tweeter - and an 8" woofer. If your familar with the brand they are Nuance Star 3Ms. A lot of people really hate this brand (the flame wars on some message boards i've seen), but it was all that I could get at the time, and I certainly don't regret it as it brought me into the world of home theatre for the first time.

I have heard from a few people that its important that the type of tweeter on the centre channel should closely match the tweeter on the front channels to maintain a more consistent sound when audio is panning from speaker to speaker.

First question:

So. How will the RC-3 (with their "TWEETER: K-105-KV 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome compression driver" and

"HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 6" square 90° x 60° Tractrix® Horn") match up with my tower speakers' hard tweeter?

Replacing the front speakers is not yet an option.

2nd question:

I have a Pioneer VSX-D509S reciever (just a starter reciever) and was wondering if anyone has used a low end reciever like this with the RC-3 centre channel? Is it able to provide enough power to this speaker to atleast enjoy it until i can upgrade to more powerful reciever (or get a pre-amp) etc.

3rd question

If you feel that the centre channel I'm after

- Won't work that well with the reciever I have

and / or

- Won't mesh with the type of tower speakers I have

What should I look for?

Thank you

vay, welcome. for an HT speaker set-up it's probably best to start with all 3 speaks you like/want, at least

in mind. the rc-3 is a nice center & will match well w/ all the klipsch reference speaks. the new rc-7 tends to match better w/ the new rf-7 because of both's

higher efficiency.

what your looking for is a voice or timbre match between center & mains. they don't have to have the exact tweeters. but they do need to be voice matched accordingly in their design to get that seamless blend especially evident w/ the sound panning.

iow, you can try your current mains, but imo you'll be much better satisfied getting the mains & center you like together. if you've heard & really like the rc-3 then try & demo that & something like the rf-3 or 5, or the rb-5 or 3, preferably in your room, & according to your budget.

my guess is your receiver should be ok but u could always leave that open for a future upgrade.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

Klipsch KLF C7 (center)

Klipsch Cornwall I (rear)

Klipsch KLF C7 (rear center)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

B&K Reference 30 preamp/processor

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Marantz MA6100 mono amp (rear center)

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HT200 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

Monster HTS1000 powercenter

Bedroom:

Sony STR-DE935 receiver

Technics cube speakers

rock on!