Considering Amps/Pre Separates

J Tanman

I was originally planning on waiting for the Outlaw preamp to come out and purchase it with the 750 Amp, but I am now considering the Marantz AV-9000 Preamp/MM-9000 Amp combination for my KLF 20s. Is it better to wait or is the Marantz combo probably as good? How is the Marantz Amp compared to the Outlaw, and how much do you think the new Outlaw preamp will cost? The other question I have is with Dolby Digital II (what exactly is it) and 6.1 surround. I am currently very satisfied with 5.1 surround (rear center not easily feasable) but I plan on keeping this setup for a while so I'd like to be proactive. Right now there are no perfectly matched 6 channel amps except for receivers and monoblocks and I'd really like to upgrade to separates. Do you think I'd be pretty good to go with the Marantz 9000s?

I currently use the Marantz MM9000 and a MA6100 for 6.1 surround system. They are both excellent units.

I understand that the AV9000 is an excellent unit but I have only herd one in a store. It is only good for 5.1 surround by itself. I use a Parasound Preamp with a Parasound 6.1CSE center suround expander to matrix the rear center from the two surround chanels. This set up works fine. You can check this out at Parasound.com. The 6.1 CSE will work with any unit with discrete surround outputs.

I have seen the AV9000 new for under $1000 through a link on Marantz's web sight. http://www.parasound.com

This message has been edited by aab3rd on 10-16-2001 at 12:32 PM

The new Outlaw 950 preamp will cost $899. and be available around Thanksgiving. It has a lot of fascinating new features. Dolby Pro-logic II turns two channel and other material into 5.1 (see www.dolby.com site). 6.1 adds rear sound effects that in some cases are very dramatic; in others it simply adds to the surround effect more or less depending on the source material. JT - I'll forward the email announcement I received yesterday from Outlaw Audio.

Thanks for all the input and thanks for the information on upcoming Outlaw products. I think I will wait and see the final specs on the Outlaw preamp. Does anyone know about the new amp they are working on? Also, is it safe to power my KLF-C7 and RS-7s (rated at 150 watts RMS max) with 165 watts? This is a great forum. Learning more every day.