Having problems with startup on my laptop...

dtel's daughter

I am having some problems with my Hp laptop and could use some help. We repainted my room after fixing some of the damage caused by Katrina. We packed up 90% of the things in the room and somehow in the packing my fiance placed the laptop in the box with some other things and it was stored outside on the the second floor porch during the cold weather which I did not know abot till bringing the boxes in and unpacking.

Now I am having a problem with starting the computer. It was a passworded startup but now when You start it up it goes to the background screen with no Icons and the only way to use the computer is to hit controll-alt-delete. Once I hit controll-alt-delete I have no problem with the way it runs but the altered startup has me worried.. Any ideas?

When you hit Ctrl/Alt/Del do you get the task manager?

Go to processes and click CPU so it sorts on CPU usage and see who the big hitter is. That should give you a clue as to what process is having trouble starting up.

Might also try to use a restore point to see if you can restore it to a usable point. Maybe you loaded some software or a program update?

That's a start without knowing more...

Having to press Ctrl+Alt+Del is a security feature. If you want to disable it, go to Start/Run and type in control userpasswords2. Then go into the Advanced Tab, and Uncheck the box that says "require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Del."

Edit: I think I misread your post, I thought the Computer was displaying a message telling you to Press Ctrl+Alt+Del.

• 2 weeks later...

I have friends at college that are taking nursing and some of them cry at nights cause the test next day [:'(]

God those tests must be brutal......

I used to be an engineer at a top ten engineering school where we would drink to forget about

the test we had the other day. I since moved to another college and

switched majors and drink to have fun hahaha.

Good luck and best wishes

We would go to a town nearby after the test occasionally to have a drink as we are in a semi dry to dry county. The test are killer and the emotional trial of our last semester between Katrina, three weeks off and having to make up that time, the new patient load as we were dealing with a lot of psychiatric problems after the storm took a toll.

Those of us who were lucky enough to have a place to live and the ablility to remain in school were more determined then ever to persue our goals.

I truely beleive that the nurses in our area and those who will complete nursing school inthe next few years will be stronger and able to stand through whatever will come their way.

I totally agree that Hurricane Katrina or any disaster brings out the

worst but brings out the best in people. I am sure that it strengthened

your goals on becomine a R/N even more....

Oh BTW no when I was in Engineering it wasn't a few drinks..... occasionally.......

More like double digit consistantly after test day, porcelain gods calling drinking......