SVS Sub in Rear Corner of Room Question

bacevedo

OK guys - I just want to ask a question about placing a sub in the back of the room.

Here is my layout:

I have a big sectional couch, that has one part along the side wall (to my right while sitting and facing the TV). The couch then curves around along the back wall, and when I am sitting watching TV, I am right against the back wall.

Now where I was thinking about putting an SVS sub is in the corner of the right and back wall, behind the curved part of the sectional couch. This would place the sub directly to the right of me (when seated in the viewing location), about 6 feet away, corner loaded, but also surrounded by the couch.

Couple of questions about this.

First, how will the sub sound at the back of the room? The back wall is about 12 feet from the front of the front speakers. The surround speakers are in wall speakers, mounted on the back wall. In fact, the right surround would be pretty much directly above the sub. I would run the sub with a XOver at 80Hz. Am I going to be able to localize the sub in the back of the room? Also, am I gonna have to play with the phase control to get the sub in phase with the front speakers? I had heard that placing a sub in the back of the room can cause timing issues that cause confusion in the brain which can result in fatigue? That is my main concern with putting a sub at the back corner of the room. Also, if I set it in phase with the front speakers - will it be out of phase with the rear speakers?

Second, how will the sub sound being surrounded on all sides? The port on the SVS would be above the back of the couch, and there would be several inches (probably 6" or more) between the SVS and the couch, but I am wondering if the couch will make it boomy, have no effect, or muffle the sound in any way.

Also, one last question. My room is actually large, but I don't care about half of it. What I mean by this is, I know that if the entire room were the theater, and I wanted to fill it ALL with bass, I would need several subs. But all I care about is the part I am sitting in having bass. The other part is basically the kitchen and breakfast nook. It is a large "great" room where the family room, kitchen, and breakfast nook are one large room. If I am close enough to the sub (so I guess this is called nearfield listening) (about 6 feet away) is this size of a room going to kill the bass where I am sitting, or actually help get rid of nulls and peaks? The size of the room is probably something like 36 feet wide, by about 14 feet deep and 11 feet tall (flat celing - not cathedral - so it is 11 feet tall from edge to edge in the entire room). The part I sit in and want the bass in is about 18 feet wide, 14 feet deep and 11 feet tall.

I have a KSW 12 now, and it is about 7 feet away (on the right wall, but at the end of the couch) and it provides some good bass in my listening position. I am considering a single PC (or CS) 20-39 SVS. I am assuming if I almost like the bass from one KSW 12, then one 20-39 should make me a very happy man. I am looking for quick, tight, deep bass that is musical. I don't like the boominess of the KSW 12. The other options I have are to get an SPL1200, or an RSW12 (if it lives up to the hype) and place it where the KSW 12 is.

Thanks guys!

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 - Sub (hopefully an RSW12 whenever they come out!)

Monster Power Conditioner HTS1000

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

Good questions,and large room you have there.

First try moving the KSW12 you have to where you would llike to try the SVS.If the bass sound good there you can bet the SVS will only performe better.

Simply move the sub around and experiment,I am sure you can fond several places to put the sub and get good bass where you sit.

Often I place the sub where I will sit and walk around to listen for the spots with the best quality bass.Then I place the sub there and listen.

This may work when you sit on the couch,if you want a good overall bass in the whole room then along the wall could be the best bet.Again you have to experiment with placement.

For me it was simple along the fron wall,all subs sit along the fron wall.This gives me the best even bass.

The SVS subs are not boomy at all,so if you place the sub behind the couch there should not be any negative impact on bass.Sure you may lose some bass energy,overall it should still give good results.

The Velodyne SPL1200 is a very good compact sub,plenty of output in a tiny box.Not as musical as the SVS.RSW??

My Klipsch dealer did not even get a single RSW,and I am still waiting for the RF-7! Frown.gif

Any sub you take(SPL1200,SVS,RSW12)will give you more output down low.Better sub bass too.

Since you have the KSW12 now you can experiment with placement.Where the KSW12 sounds best the SVS,Velo or RSW will too.

TheEAR(s) Now theears