Top 5 Films of '05

chuckears

Here, in no particular order, are my favorite five from oh-five:

Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith - George almost made up for the previous two. Almost.

Batman Begins - This looks like the beginning of beautiful franchise; the best DC character adaptation yet.

Walk the Line - Joaquin sure does surprise in this; he had some amazing big shoes to fill, and pulled it off nicely.

King Kong - This was the tough choice; I wasn't very excited about the story (been there and done that), but Jackson's film-making is jaw-dropping, and once Kong appears, he owns the thing.

Pride and Prejudice - This was the big surprise of the year for me, so much so that I started a thread to try and share with everyone what I thought was a very over-looked and under-appreciated offering... hopefully, the Academy will shake things up a little with some much-deserved nods to the mains and supporting cast.

...there are still several that were officially 2005 releases that I have not (but should have) seen... Crash, Munich, Syriana among them. I look forward to home releases of the final three on the list above, all of which will find comfortable spots on the shelf.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith: This is an excellent action movie/comedy that married folks should like. The dialog can be very good. "Baby, are you dead yet?"

The Island is an excellent sleeper. It deals with cloning and has lots of action in an original plot. It's a Dreamworks production.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was well made. It did not disappoint the Potter freaks.

Star Wars III was an excellent movie from the special effects point of view. The plot was a little bit weak in places, but it answered many questions about the entire series.

War of the Worlds is a Steven Spielberg remake that people either love or hate. It has an excellent DTS sound track that will give a workout to any system and may fry systems not able to handle the dynamic peaks.

Batman Begins receivs an honorable mention, but was very slow for the first half hour.

Bill

Haven't seen everything yet, but off the top of my head:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Batman Begins

Walk the Line

DownFall powerful acting

Crash-surprisingly good

Merchant of Venice - powerful acting by Al Pacino and surprisingly, Jeremy irons