New to HT

mdbrien

ooops, I meant the RVX system...

That reciever looks like it'll do just fine - just make sure you find

something with all the features/connections that you need...and that

will depend on what kind of TV and players and watever else you want to

connect.

Is this HT going to be in the same room as your 2 channel system?

I have a Samsung 61" HL-R6178W DLP TV. This is the newest Samsung with the Gen-6 1080p Light Engine. (Awesome!!) It has all the lastest and greatest features with all the connections you can think of.

Yes, the HT will be in the same room as my 2 channel system.

FYI, my room size is 22' x 20' with 10' sealings. Do you think the Cinema 10 will be enough for my room size?

After I get it all set up, I will post pictures of my 2 channel and HT.

Thanks again,

Might I ask why you aren't trying to integrate the two systems? You

could totally keep your 2-channel system the way it is and then with an

amp switcher you could have your mains powered by the reciever when

watching movies. Not only would you get better sound quality, but you

would also save yourself some money too (as you will have less speakers

that you need to purchase). Another option would be to find a reciever

with preouts and then run a line-level switcher and use your current

2-channel amp for both music and movies.

You won't want to skimp on the center channel with this approach though

- you might even fool around with a matrixed center (a phantom image

generated by the LR mains). And then for surrounds you could get by

with whatever (the RSX's might be a bit of stretch, but doable).

DrWho, the reason that I'm not trying to integrate the two systems is because like I said earlier, "I don't have any HT experience. But, now that I'm starting to see the light alittle, how about if I use my Heresy's as rears using the Yamaha receiver with a line-level switcher so that I can use my LaScalas for music and movies. Then all I would need to get is a center speaker. How am I doing so for??? OK, if I go with this setup, what can I use as a good center?

Thanks,

Sounds like a much much better plan...it's like you're going from low level sound to one of the best HT's out there [H]

Going the line level approach you are going to need to find yourself a reciever with analog pre-outs. The suggested HTR-5860 should be more than adequate (if it's the one I think it is...I should probably go look it up).

As far as a center channel between your lascalas....well that is an ongoing discussion with no perfect answer. Could you provide a picture or diagram of the front of your room where the TV is? Ideally you would use a single lascala for the center, but that is often not an option due to the size (unless you use it as a TV stand). Other speakers you might consider would be a single heresy, academy, or KLF-C7 (in that order). But for starters you can just go with a phantom center (sending the center information to your LR mains). Since it's a music setup I can only imagine that you have a very strong central image (vocals cut through clean on 2-channel) so phantom might actually be your best choice after a lascala. I hope that all made sense. To achieve phantom, you simply tell the reciever that you don't have a center channel.

Later on down the road you're going to want to add a subwoofer (more money I know)...I'm not sure what your experiences are with 2-channel, but you could find a system that would both enhance movies and music (I know I can't stand the lascalas without a decent subwoofer).

A more cost effective approach would be to do the ported lascala mod...which btw is completely reversable (so no damage to your speakers if you ever plan to sell them or decide you don't like it).

I think for starters I'll go with a phantom center, never heard of that before but I understand what you are saying. As for the Sub, I was planning on adding the dual KW-120-THX Subs w/KA-1000-THX amp to go with my LaScalas in 2 channel. This is really starting to look more and more like a win win situation for music and HT[:D]

Now, for a line-level switcher. Can you give me some recommendations?

I will post a photo of the front of my room where the TV is so that you can see what I have.

Thanks,

"As for the Sub, I was planning on adding the dual KW-120-THX Subs w/KA-1000-THX amp to go with my LaScalas in 2 channel. "

The sub and amp combo is wonderful. I use the amp and subs in my own HT. Is it over kill? Yes, but to me and I had the room and room size too, to do it right. With 7 La Scalas it is NIRVANA... or as close as I will ever come to it, to what I like. I am pretty sure you will too.

You need to use the attach file button at the bottom to post pictures so that the image gets uploaded to the internet (not the insert image button which can be used for pictures already on the net)...It will automatically attach the pictures to the bottom of the page.

I can't think of a simple line level switcher off the top of my head, but I know they exist...

here's the cheapest quality line level switcher I could find:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049644&cp=&pg=1&y=11&kw=selector&x=7&s=A-StorePrice-RSK&parentPage=search

As far as subs go, I think you will need both of the THX subs to keep

up with the lascalas if you plan on running the subs for 2channel music

as well...