Opinions welcome

oddly_uneven

I have just completed a room downstairs that is going to be a dedicated home theater/entertainment room. The dimensions are 11'6" wide by 23' long (perfect rectangle) with 9' ceilings. There are two doors on one wall, and 1 large window at the back of the room (opposite the television). The back wall and (outside) side wall are concrete, but all walls have been insulated and covered with 1/2" drywall, plastered, and painted. I just put a 62 inch Mitsubishi 1080p DLP television down there, and I have been wheelin' and dealin' with the local dealer to get a good price on an audio system for about 3-4 months. I'm finally satisfied with what was offered. This is what I've negotiated: RF7's, RC7, RS7's, RW12, and a Denon 3806 receiver. It will be used almost exclusively for movies (except those weekend parties!!) I have several questions...

1. Is the room big enough for the 7's?

2. I live in a residential neighborhood; my house is about 15 feet from neighbors on both sides. Am I going to get run out of here? Are there things I can do with the window (my primary concern).

3. Is the 3806 powerful enough to satisfy the 7's?

4. Is the RW12 underpowered for the rest of the system? I've heard the RSW subs are impractical and "will split my foundation" as one salesman put it. It's pretty bad when a salesman is turning you away from a higher priced product.

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions as I move along, this is pretty good for starters. Any and all advise/opinions are very appreciated, and thanks in advance.

BTW, the price for all of this (NEW) and a local (authorized) dealer is $4500, so I would guess the discontinuance of the 7's and introduction of the 83's make this a GREAT time to buy speakers!!! This was a much better deal than I got 3 months ago on the same system (except Denon 3805 instead of 3806 at the time). Is this as good a deal as I think it is?

Welcome to the forum!!!

Your deal is fine. The only comments that I would have are that the sub may be a bit underpowered. The RSW-12 or 15 or THX Ultra2 subs are the ones to look at.

The Denon will do a good job, but adding a separate amp later will give significant improvement.

The RF-7s will be fine in your room. It's a bit narrow, but horns will work well in it. With good amplification, the RF-7s are very strong on bass down to 40 Hz or so.

Bill

An RSW definitely will not "split the foundation." In fact, with R-7's and your location being downstairs (not much floor shake factor with concrete under you, if that's of interest) I would think the RSW-15 still isn't adequate. I would go with a pair or even the THX U-2's. To put it into perspective, imagine how much cone area you're using to reproduce 40Hz and above (the RF7's alone make up four 10 inch drivers!). The most demanding frequencies lie under 40 Hz and to use one 12 inch sub (RW-12) in a modestly small enclosure would be comparatively quiet. I personally don't think it makes sense to match a giant R-7 system with anything but a multiple driver sub or multiple subs (unless you own a single driver monster of a sub).

1. yes
2. No, depending on the size of the window, block it with a pillow

3. Yes
4. Bigger is better, 7s need a deep sub woofer, not more of the same bass that they put out, plus the sound system should match the size and quality of your TV

And, sounds like a lot for the money; used prices are even cheaper than discounted new[H]

Ditto what Colin and everybody else said.

A good friend recently bought an RW12 to mate with some KLF-20's (each with 2 - 10" woofers). His basement room was about the same size as yours. We had to really drive the sub hard to get an appropriate amount of sound out of it to keep up with the cubic volume of the room and his other speakers. The depth we were looking for just was not there.

If you can afford it, get something that hits lower and plays louder. Invite your neighbors over for a movie once you get it setup.

FWIW, my same friend can drive his KLF-20's just fine with the 3806. The HDMI converting for Video is a nice feature.

i also agree with the others

you will NEED a bigger sub or subs

with the output of the 7's the little sub will be taxed to keep up

when looking for subs to keep up with mt cornwalls i ended up with a pair of duel 15 pro subs and have never looked back

Posted Image