Squaker and tweeter for belle project

Dan1045

You are really comming along...

Just curious if you considered placing the tweeter beside the mid horn

along the lines of what Al (ALK) or Dana (Dman) have done? It's

more of an aesthetic consideration, but given how wide the belle is in

the first place... there is alot of room to the side.

ROb

One of the benefits of central placement on the baffle is that there isn't any comb-filtering effects or phase distortions resulting from different distances from the listener.

One of the drawbacks it that it makes for a taller cabinet.

But this has a bright side, too: the optimum height for high frequency dispersion is 35-44 inches from the floor for seated listeners (per PWK), so perhaps the Belle would benefit from having a slightly improved high frequency dispersion characteristic.

DM

Actually, I considered placing them side by and going for a very stock belle look, however, on further thought, when measured using the setup with a 2 inch riser on bottom of the bass cabinet and a 1 inch riser between the bass and top cabinet, in the chair I sit in the mid range horn hits my ears perfect.

Also, I have studied about the comb filter effects of placing them beside each other and decided to go with the placement you see. I had these two horns setup on a jbl l200 cabinet and had to tilt them down for them to work. They sounded wonderful with the tweeter ontop of the squaker so, that too decided me.

As stated above with the cabinet being so wide, it i think it will balance more. Dont know at this point if I will even use a grill. I like the "industrial bare bones look."

Nevertheless, keep suggestions coming.

Dan

Just for grins, turn the JBL's sideways so the slot is horizontal.

I found that I preferred them best that way - the dispersion doesn't change, but the back lobes do.

Since they are somewhat unbaffled, you may find that you like the soundstage better with some back lobe reflections going on. I did.

DM