DIY Sub Possibility...

Indyjeep

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The RMS of the sub is 750 watts but rec. power is 500 and I believe if I wire the A500 a certain way I can get an 8 ohm bridged load. Its a dual 4 ohm sub.

Comparison Time:

Ok so my Dig. Camera is lost right now, so you will have to go without picks, but here we go. So I took out my Alpine out and set it next to the Arsenal. Alpine is a little bit bigger than the Arsenal,but most of the Alpine is flashiness. Weighing in at 19 lbs for the AA, even the FedEx guy stated that it was rather heavy for how small the box was. Both subs are dual 4 ohm. Looking at over all cosmetics on the AA(AA=Arsenal), first thing I notice. Its not flashy at all. If it wasn't designed to be on there, than it aint on there. Its a very simple, good looking woofer. Very high build quality was put into this when looking at it. Nothing looks like it will break or snap. Overall very impressed.

Sound Quality.

Running the AA on a Kicker KX600.1 monoblock putting out 500-600 watts rms. Changing out the Alpine for the AA in a 1 cu. ft3 box, sealed. After tuning it to my sound level I played a few songs. Mobb Deep- Got it twisted remix, Eagles - Hotel California, and some random techno song. First thing I noticed was how much cleaner it was compared to the Alpine. Very smooth with little reverberation, Adjusting bass levels, only on the highest and second highest setting did I notice distortion. There was a loudness difference between the two, the AA being the louder one. Very impressed. I only had a little time to do it since it was getting dark, and cold.

But I am very very impressed with everything about this woofer and have no doubt it can put out what was modeled. And Ascendant Audio did a great job packing it and next day shipping, for $10, Wow Great stuff.

Great Company and Sub.

Any other questions just ask.

I'm waiting for them to open right now so I can get the same. Curious though. You say that it is in a sealed 3 cubic foot enclosure ( I think ). I am building a 7 cubic with two 15" passives. I know you are going to build a different enclosure. With that in mind, shouldn't it open up and play much better with the proper enclosure. I'm kind of excited about it. It seems that the smaller enclosure is starving it for lack of a better word. Anyhow, thanks for the info.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Update:

Just got all sides cut. Didn't realize that 2'x2'x2' is so big lol. Anyway I have some questions about porting and bracing inside. Im opting for a square port because it would be the easiest I think. WinISD says a vent diameter of 4"x4" and a length of about 8.37" will tune it properly, I tried looking at the help to see about the End Correction and get a definition for it, but kinda went over my head. Anybody have a easy to understand definition. And regarding the bracing, is there any special way or types I should use? I was planning on using the remaing MDF for it. And I believe I am staying with the Behringer A500, and than when my Bday hits in Sept, Im gonna ask for the EP1500 to replace it and use the A500 on my mains :)

Thanks again.
Adam

just use the two non flared end because flared means well think of a

trumpet how it flares out..... That is what a flare is. I remember

because I had an interest in a 6 inch flared port I remember the

largest diameter was 10 inches wide while the inside smallest was 6

inches. Flared reduces port chuffing and in fact you can have a sligtly

(like a few inches or so) port to get the same effect. This is because

there is less resistance.

Bracing well it should be strong and secure [:P]

2X2X2 lol that is huge! you and I advise everyone else to actually make

a cardboard lifesize mockup of the real thing and find actual placement