building new speakers

pimpson simpson

hey dudes im 14 and im think about building klipsch horns, or anyother speaker plans using 15" woofers, a horn and mid range horn from klipsch horns that were once alive. well if you guys have any plans tips or ideas please post them. I need to buy cross overs and insolation as well as plans so like i said please help me out.

Plans, experience and knowledge are all available at no cost on here.... You should start by posting your request in the Updates and Modifications

forum (better than in architectural for what you are after) as well as

a more detail list of what components you own, what you like, and what

are your carpentry skills.

If you are looking for fully horn loaded, have all the Klipsch

components, I'd recommend building a LaScala or Belle. I wouldn't

recommend Klipschorns as a first DIY horn project, as the compound cuts

and assembly are very difficult to achieve with typical home

woodworking tools..

Good luck...

ROb

Hey. Welcome to the forum. Do you have all the parts except for crossovers? Did you gut a set of Klipschorns? A bit of background on where they are from would be fun to hear. What are the exact part numbers that you have. Is it the K77 tweeter, K400/K55 midrange horn and K33 Woofer?

As for making speakers. If this is your first project, may I suggest a bass reflex design such as a Cornwall, or what is also known as a cornscala: 15" woofer and K77 tweeter in a ported box the same size as a Cornwall, but with the K400/K55 midrange. It will be much much easier to build, and you will have speakers much faster. Then you can spend some time researching and slowly, and carefully building a set of LaScala or Klipshorns.

You could even try this: Build a top section from the Lascala/Klipschorn (basically the industrial LaScala top), and build a vented bass section like a cornwall. Then you can take your time to build a LaScala or Klipschorn bass bin and when it is done, you can mate it to the top section. You may also try to be patient and watch ebay or this site, there are sometimes empty LaScala industrial bass bins for sale.

• 5 weeks later...

hey pimpson,i built a pair of speakerlab Ks when i was in highscholl,however,me and my freind glenn cut the parts and each assembled our own pair,im not trying to discourage you,but these are very diificult to build! i do still have them,but they are just collecting dust,they have knew tweeters,woofers,x overs and rebuilt midrange comp. drivers,if you would like to talk about them,give me a call @ 360-651-8992,mike mwb157.

You might try Cornwalls or Heresy first. Klipschorn takes a bit more than woodworking 101. Seriously.

And wear eye and hearing protection when you run the saw, k?

Michael

How do you know you're not talking to Norm Abrams son ? AKA Pimpson Simpson and Bob Vila is his godfather, with a mill shop at his disposal ,lol you never know. Hell he may come up with a whole new line. Never under estimate a kid