video card ?

travisc

Well I have been very productive lately in killing space demons(strogg) and I want to get the best out of my 7800gtx 256 card

can someone explain antialiasing and whether I want to be using it or not? It seems to look better with it off. though I am not sure

ps this 20 inch dell moniter is pretty sweet

thanks in advance

Antialiasing smooths out the edges of the graphics. If you're not

noticing much difference, you're either running a a pretty high

resolution or you're using a low antialiasing setting. The options are

usually 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 16x. Turn it up to 8x and you should see a

pretty noticable difference.

Just remember that antialiasing requires the video card to do more, and

will result in a lower FPS. However with that video card, you should

still get a high FPS even with the graphics cranked up.

On a 20in Dell(dude)LCD you run at 1600*1200(native rez)if you are not running at the native rez you should.At this rez any game will look great with NO antialiasing.You will notice a difference at 4X and more.

yup and it does.

online quake is way too hectic

you guys got any suggestions for multiplayers that focus less on helter skelter jumping shooting and maybe a little more sneaking/sniper action?

guys another ?

as you know I got the 7800gtx 256 card

2.8 gig dual core pro

1Gig of DDR2 sdram 533 2x512

80 gb serial ATA 7200 rpm hard drive

what is the weak link in this chain

I notice while playing fear that when I enter a new area or round a corner I get a pause as the puter crunches some 1&0's

will more ram alleviate this?

thanks for the help

What size graphics textures are you using? I had similar trouble with the largest size textures on mine (3200+ OC'd to 2.56ghz, 7800GT 256 mb mem, 1 GB ram, 120GB ide drive @ 7200 rpm). Basically it's pausing while it's loading textures from the hard drive to the video card memory.

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think more system memory would do much to help as the hard drive & available video card memory would be the bottlenecks. You could upgrade the hard drive to a loud 10,000rpm raptor or a SCSI drive. Or you could step up to an uber expensive 7800gtx with 512mb of memory. I wouldn't really reccomend doing either though as thats a lot of time/trouble/expense for one game.

Your best bet is probably to just lower the graphics texture size a notch. That should speed it up & get rid of the pauses with a pretty minor loss of graphic detail.

Oh yeah, just remebered. Check to see if you have soft shadows enabled. If you do, disable them. It's a real framerate killer in this game.

Let me know if either of these help.

guys another ?

as you know I got the 7800gtx 256 card

2.8 gig dual core pro

1Gig of DDR2 sdram 533 2x512

80 gb serial ATA 7200 rpm hard drive

what is the weak link in this chain

I notice while playing fear that when I enter a new area or round a corner I get a pause as the puter crunches some 1&0's

will more ram alleviate this?

thanks for the help

FEAR can tax ANY system known to man,no matter how much you invest(within reason).

Now your 7800GTX is a strong point(the ATI X1900XT will pound it into dust at high rez and AA in FEAR still)

A dual core P4 at 2.8GHz is plenty fine(even if one core is used...)

1GB of RAM is adequate,2GB would be ideal (and a inexpensive upgrade)

an 80GB drive...sounds like a weak point to me,as no 80GB EIDE drives or standard 7200RPM ones in this size are too speedy.

You could get a blazing 74GB or the 150GB RAPTOR from Western Digital...these run circles around any 7200RPM in the size you have and have access times that compete with serious SCSI drives.The only FASTER hard drive is not a real option,I have an Adaptec 39320 with a 74GB Maxtor 15K2 drive,this unit is THE champ for transfer rates and access times.But the 150GB RAPTOR uses the SATA interface you have and is very close.

• 1 month later...