Upgrade my ifi rsx-3 to rsx-4?

theonlysavior

It won't do you much good. The IFIs are designed to work only with the included RSX-3s. You can hook up other speakers and sure, they'll sound ok, but it won't be right. The RSX-3s they use with the IFIs are the same as the reference ones minus the lower freq crossover. Why? Well the sub filters the signal for the satellites. So you won't get the most out of your RSX4's if you hook them up to the IFI system.

Just do what I did and build your own stereo setup from the gound up using the RSX line of speakers.

Posted Image

Hmm.....Well then do you guys think its worth paying 210 for a pair of rsx-4's or 275 for rsx-5? Or should i just save my money and build a custom stereo later on?

You're not going to get the most out of your speakers if you hook them up to the IFI. The sub filters the signal for the IFI RSX-3 since they do not include the low freq crossover (which is present in the full fledged Reference RSX-3). So I guess it'll kind of be like using an RSX-5 with an RSX-3 crossover. That's not gonna sound right.

So don't buy new speakers for the IFI thinking it'll be a proper upgrade. It won't be. Instead, I would buy the RSX-5s and use them temporarily with the IFIs until you can afford a proper amp. And then once you have the amp, you can buy a new subwoofer to complete your new stereo system. You could use the IFI subwoofer if you wanted to, but it might not/won't be able to keep up with the RSX-5s since they already go down pretty low. You'll want a larger subwoofer to really get the most out of your setup.

That being said, I bought my pair of RSX5s for $99 each. It was a great deal. I have a rotel amp powering them and I just ordered an rw-10 sub to go with them last week. Oh yeah, you could also consider selling your IFIs to help fund your new stereo setup. My IFIs are currently on ebay. [;)]

It won't do you much good. The IFIs are designed to work only with the included RSX-3s. You can hook up other speakers and sure, they'll sound ok, but it won't be right. The RSX-3s they use with the IFIs are the same as the reference ones minus the lower freq crossover. Why? Well the sub filters the signal for the satellites. So you won't get the most out of your RSX4's if you hook them up to the IFI system.

Just do what I did and build your own stereo setup from the gound up using the RSX line of speakers.

Well, that's half of it.

The RSX-3 (HT version) has a high pass filter (HPF) for when it's hooked up to receivers that don't have HT crossover built in. It's necessary to protect the woofers from very low frequencies. There's now way of knowing what the customer will hook them up to. this is also true for the Quintet speakers.

The RSX-4 does not have the HFP, but that isn't the issue.

In addition to removing the HPF from the RSX-3 (iFi version) the crossover between the woofer and tweeter was changed as well. We were merely taking advantage of the power available and the fact that we can EQ the amplifier any way we wanted.

The result is a speaker that does not have a flat frequency response. But the EQ built into the amplifier restores the flat frequency response. If you take an RSX-4 (HT version), which comes voiced for use with a flat amplifier (no EQ), and put it on an amplifier with EQ, it's not going to sound right.

The result is a speaker that does not have a flat frequency response. But the EQ built into the amplifier restores the flat frequency response. If you take an RSX-4 (HT version), which comes voiced for use with a flat amplifier (no EQ), and put it on an amplifier with EQ, it's not going to sound right.

Andy how flat is the frequency response for the Klipsch iFi with internal EQ? All I see is the 27 Hz to 20 kHz frequency range mentioned.