Bi-Amp, KLF-30 with Acurus?

Craig6519

I wanted to know what you guys thought. I have just ordered a Acurus A200x3 amp, and was thinking about picking up a 125x5 too. Heres what i was thinking of doing. Run the 200x3 two of the channels to the woofs on the 30's and the third to the center channel, then running two channels from the 125x5 to the highs on the 30's and the other two to my exisiting side surrounds, and leaving the fifth channel for a future rear center channel. So do you think 200watts to the woof and 125watts to the highs in a Bi-amp configuration on my 30's be a good idea?

Thanks

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KG4 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

ART 351 Eq.

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

I think 125W for the mids/highs is plenty,200W for the woofers is good.

I doubt you will ever use 50W on the upper range,still the 125/200 sounds good to me.I never biamped the KLF series,I just used very powerful amps.All my Klipsch(R and S series are not biamped).

Just for fun I triamped the Spendor FL-10 speakers,I used a Celeste 4070 for the tweeter,4150 for the midrange and a 4250 for the bass(twin 12" woofers).

The impact and freedom from compression was remarkable.

(70W RMS highs,150W RMS midrange and 250W RMS bass).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Sorry I could not help more,I just dont biamp Klipsch speakers.Using good cables with quality amps I get very good results.

Did you know Dynaudio Contour series cannot be biamped!

Dunaudio does nor believe in biamping.If you use a good amp you dont need biamping(if the crossover was well designed).

I only "triamped" the large Spendors for fun.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks Again EAR, I was just wondering If this would be an improvement as they made the Legends Bi-Amp and Bi-wireable. I'm sure the Acurus is going to be a huge improvement over my exisiting Yamaha anyway. I don't know should i just save my money? Anybody out there Bi-amp there Legends with good results?

Thanks

Craig

craig, i haven't biamped (yet). biwired offered some improvement to the 30s. but i have to warn u - those 30s will probably really rock w/ biamped acurus, but next you may be looking for a new pre/pro (w/ like adjustable crossover, upgradability, crystal sound, etc.). happened to me (see other post) cwm35.gif

i believe for best biamping results you'll need external crossovers. i.e., run preouts to a crossover box that then sends the respective signals to each amp. or maybe just split the preouts to each amp.

don't know, but bet somebody will answer now Smile.gif

your wattage/power amps idea sounds about right to me.

This message has been edited by boa12 on 10-22-2001 at 05:22 PM

Thanks Boa12, adding an external crossover seems a bit to complicated to me right now. I guess i'll just get another 200x3 and be ready for 6.1.

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KG4 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

ART 351 Eq.

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

yea craig i'd get those acurus while available for those prices. they're great amps. & always room for expansion. Smile.gif

even though the same brand, different models w/ different power would probably have different sonic characters & different levels so you'd need an external crossover & volume control since the acurus don't have volume controls.

to do a passive biamp you'd definitely need identical amps.

Thanks again Boa, I'll get it and start by Bi-wiring first, any suggestion on what gauge wire to use for the highs and lows?

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KG4 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

ART 351 Eq.

Yamaha DSP-A1

Acurs 200x3 (In the mail)

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony S565D DVD

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

craig, i got premade monster biwires. don't know what guage they are after a few attempts to find out but looks like 18 for the highs & 12 for the lows to me.

if i made my own though i'd just keep it consistent w/ 12 ga. to both. unless $ are really an object. shouldn't make a lot of dif. within reason imho.