Star Wars Episode I Phantom Menace DVD

Wild Blue

I'd like to hear what everyone thinks of the Phantom Menace DVD release. I think everyone has seen the movie before, so no real need to warn everybody about Jar Jar Binks or anything. Here's my thoughts:

THX Intro - Top notch! The extra rain sound gave it the potential to be better than the Terminator 2 SE THX intro, but I think they rushed this one. About 5-10 seconds longer, and it would have been the best ever. (and most expensive, I'm sure)

Sound Quality - Not bad. But with Lucas' refusal to put the Star Wars saga on DVD until it could be made perfect, I was expecting that--a perfect sound transfer. But there was a slight background hiss that was a little distracting. Especially noticeable when I cranked up the sound for the opening title sound blast. (thank you, John Williams, you ROCK)

Dynamic Range - This movie really gives your subwoofer a run for your money. I must have pissed off my neighbors, because I watched it LOUD, and the woofer is working all through the movie. Lots of bass. (too much? mmmmmmm.... dunno)

Extra Scenes - What's up with this? I was clipping my fingernails during the podrace scene, when all of the sudden I hear "Skywalker is spinning out of control". Methinks, "hey, I don't remember that", and look up to see a new scene stuck in, where Anakin's podracer comes apart in flight (not the fire scene a little later). I don't think you can even watch the movie without the new scenes. What else was put in new?

Visuals- Not bad! Didn't see any problems.

Extras - Haven't even touched these yet. There's supposed to be about 6 hours of the stuff. Anyone else want to comment?

Overall - slightly disappointed, but I guess Star Wars fans expect only the BEST from Lucas, and then are slightly let down if he doesn't live up to it. All in all, not bad.

The first time I watched it I was realizing that some of the audio was off sync with the movie. But then when I watched it again last night it looked a little better, I don't know why. The new THX intro was nice...I also think it should've been a little longer. I did the same thing when I was watching the pod race scene...I was like WTF is this...I don't remember that...also they introduced a lot more of the racers before the race....that was new too. I haven't really watched beyond that so I don't know if there is anything else that was new. Oh yea and I watched the fight scene in the end and there was nothing new there. I wish there was a way to disable the extra scenes and maybe Jar-Jar's Dialogue...Now for some technical problems...I was trying to "optimize" my THX surround sound last night for Episode one and I was hearing noise coming out of the front 2 speakers when it was testing the rear surround sound speakers....is there anyway to change that with my promedia 4.1's? What's the deal with that...they should be surround sound. I think I need to turn my bass up a little because it was kinda weak in my opinion...but then again I just have it set to the "factory" preset setting. That's all the rant and raves I have about the film...it's still an awesome movie...sans Jar Jar. But I too was a little disappointed.

This message has been edited by b_schulz on 10-21-2001 at 02:43 PM

watched it the other night. really good sound, good video. didn't notice the extra scenes, must've been stoned the other times i saw it Wink.gif hey! if you don't remember it it's like seeing it for the first time! anyway, i bought it, and the kicker was dd-ex w/ the 6.1 surround. the recent upgrade of my 777es to include a simulated center rear speaker 'virtual matrix 6.1' for dd-ex and dts-es has really been an improvement for 6.1 encoded material. for those of you w/6.1 capability, go to dts and thx websites for a list. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

B_Schulz: when you do discreet channel tests with any test discs, you should not be getting sound out of the other channels. With home theater, this would be either a function of the source (disc) or your power (amplifier). I'd be pretty sure it's not the disc, so I'd suspect your sound card in this case if you have the Promedia 4.1's

Yea I have the promedia 4.1's....so probably it's my sound card. Any recommendations on a new one that will be good for the promedia 4.1's? ...also should I be selecting 5.1 surround sound for my movies or just the 2.1 dolby surround sound with these 4.1's? Thanks again.

This message has been edited by b_schulz on 10-24-2001 at 12:50 AM

Just wanna say I enjoyed this a lot. we watched it tonight, and felt it was top notch like all Lucas movies. I like this the least in the series...so I am looking forward to the re touched OLDIES more..LOL..

CRANK it up and enjoy it for what it is. And get lost like your 8 yrs old again...yes thats right, root 4 the kid..the dreamer...and may "the force" be with you!!!!

Well said, IndyKlipschFan. I've now watched all the extras too, which turned out to be very nice. Lots of extras. This and Terminator 2 are in my opinion the finest quality DVD's ever made as far as VIDEO, SOUND, and EXTRAS. I was a little suprised (and maybe disapointed?) to learn some things about the plot from the extras that I never would have known from the actual movie, but we're supposed to just GET. Like Anakin's friend that is a kid of Greedo's race is ACTUALLY supposed to be Greedo.

Final evaluation, I got to give it 5 stars. Negatives are the somewhat weaker "single-story" of Episode 1 itself, and not quite the perfection we expect from Lucas. But compared to other DVD's, and especially when put into the light of being a six-story saga, this is one of the best.

Awesome movie (of course except for Jar-Jar) Effects and sound were great just like T2SE.

Wild Blue: I thought it was supposed to be 9 stories. Is it not?

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains

Polk C-175 center

Infintiy RS-10 Surrounds

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

You know, that's interesting. Back when Lucas was working on the original trilogy, yes, what I was hearing is that it was intended to be the middle of a 9 story saga. However, after the end of Jedi, and especially when Episode 1 was in the works, all I was hearing was a 6 story saga. I haven't heard any reason for the change, or even anything official about what Lucas has planned. I'm not sure where you could go with the story from Jedi. Maybe if he starts making Episode 7 after Episode 3 comes out in 2005, he can get all the original trilogy characters at a much older age to tell a follow-up trilogy. The big three, Hamill, Fisher, and Ford, are all still alive.

There's actually some books out that are supposedly the next 3 episodes. They were written by Tomothy Zahn and are very good reads.

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"