University Speaker Cabinet

PrestonTom

Please advise.

I was out shopping yesterday and stopped by a used furniture place. Tucked away in a corner was Mahogany cabinet about 30in high by 21 wide and close to 21 deep and labeled "University" on the grill. The overall shape (looking down) was similar a "homeplate" (tapering in on the back). The only ID on it was a sticker labeled "EN 1 something". Apparently it was for an outboard crossover since there were 3 pairs of lamp cord wires going into the back labeled "tweeter", "Common" (and soldered together). " woofer", and another that had lost its label. Safe guess this is a 3 way cabinet.

The guy wanted 175, but would take 125. He claimed the cabinet was from his Dad's house which he cleaned out when his parents died, and that the drivers seemed to work. I would have the option to return the cabinet if they did not. It was not a simple task to open up the cabinet (I assume it is accessed by puling off the front). So by feeling through the grill cloth, I think it is a 3 way although one of the holes may have been a port. His dad was a hi fi nut back in the 50s and this cabinet was first set up back in 1956

I already have enough speakers in my house (more than enough) and cosmetically this cabinet would need some TLC.

I checked the WEB, and it looks like it is a EN 12 (although this measured deeper by several inches) so I am not sure.

Any opinions, would this be a fun project (if the drivers do in fact work). I would need to do some restoration on the finish (unfortunately mahogany is tricky to work with) and it does not look like a candidate for veneering. I would also need to assemble a cross over. I am guessing that if it needed the woofer to be re-foamed or if the tweeter needed a new diaphragm then the costs could add up.

Given that I have not completed my kitchen renovation and that I already have a pair of K-Horns, a pair Cornwalls, a Heresy, a pair of Martin Logans, a pair of Vandersteens, a pair of Maggies etc, you can imagine what my girlfriend's opinion was .....

What are thoughts? A bad idea or an intriguing notion?

-Tom

I think it's an intriguing notion. A few years ago, I found a similar

cabinet at a garage sale. It is about the size and shape of of a

Klipsch Shorthorn. Inside was a C15W woofer, Cobreflex mid-horn with a

T-30 driver, and HF-206 tweeter. Sounded great! There was an N-3

crossover, with 6 wires coming through the rear slot, going to pots for

Brilliance and Presence. I'd say get it, especially if it can be

returned for non performance. If you go back, take a flashlight with

you and try to see what is inside. My cabinet had a slot in the back

corner of the cabinet, allowing for limited viewing of the innards.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

You might be right about the tone Brilliance & Presence knobs. I remember there were 2 holes in the back and the wires came out of one of them. These in fact may have been holes for the knob shafts. Inwhich case it may have not been set up for a outboard cross over. At the time I did not have a flashlight handy to check the front openings. I don't recall seeing a slot in the back, but I was in a hurry.

Thanks,

-Tom

DM,

Thanks for your response and diagram. The measurements for the EN 15 look a bit bigger than what I measured. That is why I was guessing it was an EN-12 (although those measurements seemed a bit off also). Have you ever had a chance to hear this series?

Good Luck,

-Tom