Round horns VS. Square horns need input from people

mpmiller1980

Im thinking about hand building a set of speakers using aluminum woofers 8inch and round horn tweeters instead of square ones, the round horns are 8 inchs across and 4 inches deep, Im asking around for input because I have heard good things about round horns and just would like some more input, I have built dozens of subwoofers for home and this will be the first set of towers Ive built that use horns instead of regular dome tweeter sugestions welcomed. you may also email me at mpmiller1980@yahoo.com thanks

Dispersion patterns are equal all the way around for circular horns!

The rectangular horns are different dispersion pattern (that's why they are rectangular)! Square horns are a rare breed, perhaps because of the potential for producing a standing wave at the mouth, I would think.

DM

They will have a resonance at a sharp distinct frequency...instead of a few resonances of lower magnitude and more spread out.

The RF series horns aren't really a square horn even though the shape of the mouth is that way....if you look closely you will see two distinct flare rates for both the horizontal and vertical directions - so it's mostly rectangular.

I do think the THX Ultra horns sound much better though...