Concert for Bangladesh

Steve_L

It's 1971. The Beatles have been broken up for a couple of years. Woodstock has come and gone. Bob Dylan is holed up in "upstate" recovering from a broken neck from a motorcycle accident. Vietnam is STILL going on but going to end pretty soon due to a brilliant move by Richard Nixon, at the mandate of America. Just sneak out the back, Jack.

People are starving in Bangladesh and Ravi Shankar suggests to Geroge Harrison, that it would be cool if they could do something to gain visibility and raise money to feed and get help for the starving and sick in Bangladesh. (a part of Pakistan)

Smokin' pot is as common as smoking cigarettes and EVERYONE does that!

So George calls Ringo, and a few other dudes.. Eric Clapton, Leon Russell, Billy Preston and a special come back into town invite to Bob Dylan. They have a 1 night concert in NYC Madison Sq Garden. Everyone plays for free. They clear $243K on the concert but much more in record sales of the 3 Album set.

If you're me and 23 years old, or anyone else within a 5 year range of me on either side, buying the triple album set that comes with a cool glossy photo magazine of the event is mandatory standard operating procedure. How could you not. I just looked at my original vinyl and they are still pristene. (like all my other vinyl actually)

So, there are better DVDs, but this is excellent for 1971 vintage source material. There is a DTS and a DD5.1 track. Good balance of sound and audience noise. I Netflixed it, but just ordered from Amazon, as I've come to the conlcusion that this is an important concert, if only for the fact that seeing any performance of Beatles (even if John and Paul are missing) is important. Even more so, this is Bob Dylan at his best, and footage of Dylan is rare, he is singing his best stuff, hard Rain Gonna' Fall, Freight Train, Blowin' In the Wind..others Eric Clapton doesn't do much here, but he shows up. Billy Preston's dance is worth the price of admission.

If you're in your 50s, you probably want this DVD just for the remember when. If you're younger you may want it if your into historical popular music happenings. I'm a big Clapton and Dylan fan over 50.... so for me, no brainer.

It was fun being young back then.

B000AYQJJ2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Thumbs UP! I loved the LP when it came out,the dvd is also a must have

for any classic rocker.I bought this dvd a few years ago when it was

imported and cost $50,now its a steal at $20.Many good songs and of

course Leon and the gang.Naturally the recording is not perfect but is

tollerable considering the venue.