Pioneer SX 3900 Problem

wstrickland1

Years ago my late brother gave me a Pioneer SX 3900 receiver. I really didn't know what I had and when I started down the road of surround sound I had no use for it and "gave" it to my buddy in Beaufort. Well, I am making a workout area in my garage so asked him if he still had it, which he did but DAYUMMM did he mess it up. I plugged it in tonite and it lighrs up and powers up fine, but I get this loud, buzzy hum from both channels. Now this model is considered by some to be a nice piece, 120 wpc, low distortion specs and built like a tank weighing in at 44 lbs. Does anyone have an opinion about what might be wrong or if it would be worth fixing?

Hi Billy , You might try pulling the cover and cleaning it out . If your bud had , has pets that could do it . My old Phase Linear did the same thing towards the end of it's life cycle and it turned out to be the transformer . Which in my case was not repairable . Hope it's just dirty . [:(]

Frawley referred me to a shop that works on vintage equipment. I lugged it down there on Friday and described the problem to the guy. He told me that based on my imitation of the sound that it was about a $135 fix. Add to that $5.99 for throat lozenges because my imitating the buzzing sound really hurt my throat.

Anything for the cause.