Any worthwhile non-pro SS options? behind tube pre

snilsen13

I've always liked the old carver ss amps....though I'm not sure if they're still around anymore. Very clean and smooth, but still ballsy enough for rocking it out.

Dr. Who, I thought you were a Crown'd man? Don't you have a K2? I've seen K1 go for under $1000. Are you serious about the Carver? Maybe knowing how "old" you mean could help, but I've read a lot of negative opinions on Carver, compared to say, Bryston.

Well certainly not as old as some of the recent pics I've seen popping up on the forum, old to me is like 80's 90's (haha, bet that makes some of you old farts feel even older)...I wish I could remember the models I heard. They were slimline, like one rack unit tall - 50W or so into 8 ohms. Nothing super spectacular, but good bang for the buck (which is what klipsch is all about anyway...).

Yes, I am a crown man...but don't own any of the K series simply because I'm on that annoying college student budget. And I didn't recommend them because the person was looking for "non-pro" amps [;)] Though to me it's an odd requirement because you're essentially getting the same kind of amp...just spending way more on a pretty box.

I'm not one to care too much for the amplifier anyway....all quality amps will sound 98% identical when operating in their linear region(regardless of topology) because they all try to iron-fist their way to perfection (by trying to maintain a perfect voltage output regardless of the current draw...at least that's the simple explanation). So the only other good alternative would be to go about custom building an amplifier for a particular speaker...but if you're gonna go that route then you better make sure your speaker isn't the limiting factor, which also includes the need for good room acoustics. So you've gotta do all that extra work just to get that last 2% increase in fidelity...or you can just go with whatever amp has the features you want and save the extra funds for the more important aspects...I know this is all blasphemy, but try to do some blind ABX comparisons between amplifiers some time...even with tubes versus ss...