center speaker for HT

Steve_P

For my main spkrs I have a set of Klipsch KG 5.5s. For those not familiar these are a mid 90s model with two 10" woofers and a rated freq response of 34-20kHz +/-3; I really do love these speakers. For my center I have a KV3; rated 63-20 kHz. Even though the KV3 was fairly expensive in the mid 90s, $400 list, I have never really been happy with it; IMO it does not have enough oomph to match the KG 5.5s. Obviously this should be no surprise, but when I bought it I had no idea the demands placed on the ctr spkr. Even though I have a "good" center speaker I usually watch movies with surround in the phantom mode bypassing the center altogether because I am just not happy with the sound and the differences as it transitions between the mains and center.

So, I guess I am in the market for a larger center speaker. I would love to hear comments on the RC-7 and RC-64. (I know the 7 is basically obsolete). Rated response is much lower on the RC-7 than the RC-64. Thoughts?

Anyone have a "custom" ctr spkr made from the same components as their R&L spkrs?

I am also curious on what center speaker people have, its low end rating, and how they set their receiver in surround- the large spkr setting or small spkr setting- sorry I forget the correct terminology here.

The Klipsch matching center for your speakers is a KG2.5v. Not a bad center. I too have enjoyed the KG line of speakers. The new reference centers (RC7 and RC64) would not be your best bet to match your KG's. They are sweet speakers, but not a match. You will notice a huge sonic difference when the sound pans from left to right across the sound stage.

Another option, ( if you have the room) is another KG speaker on it's side, like the KG 3.5 or 4.5.

Good luck with your hunt.

I owned and used KG5.5's for years along with a KV-2 center. The KV-2 was OK but was lacking, as you stated. So I bought a KLF-C7. The KLF-C7 was just the opposite of the KV-2, that is, it overpowered the L/R KG5.5.

You might try a KG2.5 as suggested, or a KT-LCR. Neither will be perfect, as will anything else.

Welcome to the forum!

Keith

• 17 years later...