Time for a cool change

TimBo

Hello all!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ive been reading the forums here for some time and now I must post to try and get a few options as to what sub would best match my current system.

System specs are all Klipsch as follows:

Fronts KG2.5 (2)

L&R rear surrounds KG 1.5 (2)

Center KV1

Current sub - SW8II

AV Receiver Yamaha HTR-5740

The room size is 15x17 with VERY thick carpet all speakers except the sub are placed high in the room and all but the center channel are placed in the corners.

My normal listening habits are HT 60%@ 40% volume and 80s rock 40% @ 70% volume.

The SW8II was never enough of a sub to play along nicely with the HT low bass levels but seems to do ok with the 80s rock but the volume of the SW8II was not enough at high system volumes.

As you can see this is not a top of the line Klipsch system and I am afraid that in purchasing my next sub I would be tempted to over run the rest of the system with too much sub.

I dont want to be replacing windows and busting foundations but I would like a little more thump in the rock department and a sub that does not rattle with the explosion from a movie.

The other thing is that I dont see the need for a sub costing over $450.00 USD to do what I need.

My thoughts are the RW-10 or the Sub-10.

Other options and opinions as to my selection would be appreciated.

Thanks, TimBo

Welcome aboard,

Reading your post I would point the Sub12 or the SVS PB10 or a HSU VTF10. Each one a great choice,since we are on a Klipsch forum and you should find a deal when shopping for a SUb12 look into the Sub12(why not have extra output over the Sub10).

A Sub12 any time over a RW10.Dollar for dollar the Sub12 is the better value(more output,goes deeper while sustaining high output)

As

you can see this is not a top of the line Klipsch system and I am

afraid that in purchasing my next sub I would be tempted to over run

the rest of the system with too much sub.

I

dont want to be replacing windows and busting foundations but I would

like a little more thump in the rock department and a sub that does not

rattle with the explosion from a movie.

The other thing is that I dont see the need for a sub costing over $450.00 USD to do what I need.

My thoughts are the RW-10 or the Sub-10.

Other options and opinions as to my selection would be appreciated.

Well you really can never have too much sub...if it's overpowering your

system, just turn it down. A lot of people have this notion that a sub

needs to be a power horse blasting bass all over the place, but a

properly integrated subwoofer will actually have its largest impact on

the midrange clarity of the system - you really could bring your "not

top of the line system" to a whole new level...

That said, I would highly recommend the sub-12....and you're in luck because they're going for under $450 at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7039527&type=product&id=1099395911174

Btw, I don't recommend this sub based on my own interests...I just

really believe it's the best sub for your situation. It is definetly

much better than the sub-10 and RW-10.

Thanks for the input thus far.

I have been doing some more studying of the Klipsch Sub-12, SVS PB10-ISD, and the HSU STF2. I like the idea of staying with Klipsch but one consern is the down firing design. My carpet and padding is very thick and I'm worried of either the cone touching it during play or the sound to be muted due to being so close to the carpet itself. If I were to go with the Sub-12 would building a plate of 3/4 oak-ply (edge routed, sanded, finished of course) to place the sub on be a good idea or would that also change the output?

The wavelengths of bass frequencies are way too big for them to even

notice the shaggy carpet....though if the woofer is hitting, then that

will definetly be audible [;)]

One cool trick I've seen done is to purchase one or two marble

tiles...it looks really cool and when on carpet, it really keeps the

woofer from bouncing around. They also work real well at keeping vacuum

cleaners from knocking into your speakers [;)]

I gotta weigh in for the SVS. I had the same "overpowering" concern with my modest KG setup, but it has turned out great. I have all of the KG's set to small and I continue to be impressed with the overall sound. I, however, am still hoping for that shaking of the foundation you mentioned.

Now, let's talk about what we can do about that 80's rock.......................................................[;)][:D]

Well, I may have changed the matter somewhat; I just won a set of Klipsch T-5000s off eBay for $105.00 and will be picking them up over the weekend. I'm not sure if I'll keep them or let a friend of mine have them, depends on how they sound in the room I have. They were too hard to pass up at that price. I think I would rather have a set of KG 3.5s and the SVS PB10-ISD to be honest. That would let me move the KG2.5 s to the rear, KG3.5s up front KV1 center and the PB10 to cover the bottom end and maybe get a better matching sound.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I will be out of town or rather out of the boonies over the weekend so I may stop by a BB and listen to the Sub-12 but I am beginning to think the PB10 will be a better bet with the direction the movies have went with subsonic sound effects. With a little bigger fronts it may also help with the 80s rock being reproduced closer to the sound Im looking for as well. Nothing like a little Van Halen to start the mornings off with! Gets the old blood up and running for another day of PC work.

Speaking of which, I do have a new HTPC that I built with all my music, except the albums so far, ripped to the hard drive in lossless and connected by Toslink to the Yamaha. EQ can be done with the sound card software to bring the systems sound into a better fit for my room as well.

Wish me luck and thanks again for the help youve offered thus far, TimBo

I now have the Tanget T-5000s in the home and they sound awesome. The cabinets, grills, and drivers are in great shape. The power that is required to achieve bass responce is a little tuff to manage without using EQ to "pump it up" just a little. I'm only pushing 85w @ max and will not be listening to them at that level under normal circumstances.

I may still be in need of a sub for the 60hz and down for movies as well.

This raises two questions. Since I'm not an engineer would someone suggest a couple potentiometers that I could plate mount to the rear of the cabinet to control the midrange and tweeter?

Also, would it be better to replace the woofer with a driver that requires less power? if so then which model?

Thanks, TimBo