what should I do?

klipschaholik

I purchased a pair of HBR heresy II's a while back that are in excellent condition with the cane grills. These were never finished and I'm wondering if I should leave them alone or stain and finish or veneer over the birch wood. I'm wondering if changing the finish from the factory original condition will have a significant impact on the value of the speakers. Any suggestions or comments would be welcome.

gk

Depends on the condition of the veneer. If they are beat up, the value would probably be enhanced by finishing them or adding veneer.

I have a perfect pair of unfinished Birch Heresy 1's. I forget the year they were made, but I just couldn't believe what I was looking at when I went to pick them up. How in the world could a guy keep these in such good shape for over 20 years? I mean, there are a few minor scratches which I will easily sand right out of the veneer. They are a little grungy, but not bad, and a quick sanding will make these look like new. Not even one little place with veneer missing. Perfect square corners. Just amazing. Anyway, enough about these . . . .

Unfinished Heritage is rare. Most people put a lousy finish on them right away after getting them. They bought unfinished to save money, and those are not usually the type of people to put a lot of time and money into the finish. So a pair in really nice condition should be left that way (especially if you're going to sell them) OR very nicely finished.

Greg