Newbie : looking at slightly damaged demo RF7s

CoreyF

Hi gang. I've been lurking for a while in the hopes of updating my antique audio for 50/50 music and HT. I've really enjoyed reading this forum and was getting pretty fired up about Klipsch until recently;

Last Saturday I looked at a demo RF7 system at a local big box store (only RF7s they still had available). One of the woofers on an RF7 had a dent--not pierced through-- in the cone (in the middle section of the woofer, not the center dome). It looked like someone took their fingertip and dragged it along the cone for about 1/4 to 1/2 inch while checking out the pretty metallic color. Would this cause noticable problems? They "came down" from their 'sale' price of $850 to a little over $700 each on the RF7s since they were the last ones, but the damage, price, and their total incompetance left me less than impressed. They also had some RB75s, RF5, Rf35, other bookshelfs, centers, and surrounds still in stock as of Saturday.

I mistakenly bought a Sony 7.1 receiver ($400, str-de995, claimed 100 wpc) two years ago (good Consumer Reports test, but I now know from this forum that doen't mean squat). I've tried twice now at the big box to get a decent audition on the Klipsch line, but it's a no go. They are idiots: no way to hook up and listen to a cd you bring in, only about six 40 second tracks of pre-canned music in their computerized switching system (Sting, Frampton, Fleetwood Mac, Nora Davis?, Metallica), try to watch a few short HT pre-canned movie clips and they can figure out how to get a sword fight from Gladiator and a Frazier boxing match, but you'll play hell getting anything with a mixture of vocals/music/soundeffects (they briefly had a showtime HD clip from Hannible Lector with opera and conversation, but couldn't get the sound to play and could find no way to locate / return to that clip once they got the sound going). Couldn't get any receivers except a $1400 top of the line Pioneer or something to work : (the Sonys I hoped to compare with the Klipsch couldn't get more than one L/R channel to play due to a glitch in something), they couldn't get the the L/R RF7s and the RC7 to play simultaneously with much bass "because it's set up (crossover settings?) for a sub and we don't have one hooked up"--they could only get much bass out of the RF7s in two channel mode. When I asked about the new reference line ,their comment was that it wouldn't be in until March, and the quality probably wouldn't be as good "because the Klipsch son took over the company".

Unless your expertise can calm my misgivings, I'm leaning towards waiting for the new line to come out and go to a real audio store a couple hours away to audition them (they are currently sold out of the 7 and 5 series), or possibly look at some Paradigms another store carries (they make a model Monitor 90P with built in amps to carry everything but the midrange and tweeter load ---maybe a way to avoid the need to trash-can my Sony receiver?). Thanks for any insights you can give me.

I remember 2 years ago I was told 1600 for a pair of new in the box full warantee rf-7 now I am told rf83 new in the box 1600 dollars...

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too from reading some recent posts. Trying to sell me damaged merchandise at almost $1500 pair didn't seem like much of a deal, and bad mouthing the as-yet-unseen new models smacked kind of like someone more concerned with a quick commission than developing any kind of relationship with me as a customer.

Thanks for the replies. It's an American TV in Davenport, Iowa that I was looking at too.

I think I'll just take your advise and delay a little longer. Everything I read said to carefully audition music you were familiar with on mutiple speakers, and American seemed incapable of anything other than the short clips and improperly set up and mis-matched equipment that I mentioned previously. Obviously that's not a problem if you already know exactly which speaker brand and model you need to complete your system (like many of you on this forum). In that vein, according to their flyer the phone number is (563) 359-5000 in case any of you are looking for some left-over stock (last Saturday I remember seeing an rsw sub of some kind, various sizes of rear surrounds, etc..... in addition to bookshelfs and floorstanders (and much of it wasn't labeled or priced -and the staff seemed clueless).

Just out of curiosity though, would a "dented" woofer cone cause any audible problems? This seems like it could easily occur by curious little fingers if someone left their home speaker grills off.

it can happen with curious little fingers because the speaker cone was designed to be as thin as possible (to reduce weight) of the cone but as rigid as possible too which makes it capable of denting way to easy.... I suppose that if the cone is not pieced that the sound is not drastically affected though in the back of my mind I would curse it everyday