Inside the Cornwalls

Wardsweb

Nice thread; I hadn't seen it until just now.

Thought I'd share a photo of the innards of a 1974 Cornwall with the AlNiCo EV tweeter and Atlas MR for comparison. I got rather more carried away damping the MR horn. Never thought to add some mass to the woofer basket, tho'. The XO, of course, is the original, stock one.

dampedcornyhornies.jpg

I also have the K51 in my '81 Corns. Since there is not much info, I'll add my .02. In my room (always the caviot I start with), the K51 is very flat (and sounds great IMO) up to around 4K. There is a fair dip around 4.5K and a huge 8-10 dB bump from 5-6K, where it signs off. I mistakenly assumes that it was the K77 accounting for the 5-6K bump, since I saw the K51 signing off around 4.5K, until I tested the drivers separately. When I did the 5-6K bump was all the K51. This is with a simple type B. As such I am looking forward to adding the .51 mH inductor as a bandpass. I expect that this will about level of the K51 out to 6K. Bob's new tweet will pick up from there, I have all value caps from 2-4 and I will "back down" the K77 until is gives a flat transition from the K51.

It also seems, can't be sure as I was making lot of changes and not focusing on the mids, that the 5-6K bump in the mid got worse when I went from the K-600 to K-401 horn.

I have no idea whether this type of response is typical from a K51 (give my sample size of 2 and no free field measurements), just some info FWIW