Inside the Cornwalls

Wardsweb

JJK,

Rope caulk. Used to dampen vibrations. Some say it helps on teh woofer basket to help prevent reflections off the metal.

I won't pass judgment on it. Some will swear by it, at least the dampening the horn. The newer composite horns don't need it.

Cool.......K-51-V......

Is that good? Old? Standard?

K-51-V is supposed to be a rare driver I guess.

Whether they are good or bad, I dunno. I never compared them to other Cornwall midhorn drivers.

Your Cornwalls are probably around the same year as mine. ('83?) Mine have the stock B-2 networks and the K-51-V. I damped the horn with rope caulk, and swapped out the Eminence woofers for Fostex L-475 15's.

Those Altecs do dwarf a Cornwall.......

The K-51-V is the ceramic magnet version of the K-55-V with the soldered lugs. IOWs, it has the dual port phasing plug and honest extension out to 6kHz.The driver was made Atlas, and it was the driver Electrovoice was competing against when they presented their version to PK. PK picked the Electrovoice driver -- which became the K-55-M. The choice was certainly driven by economics. It's a pretty thing that's for sure.

Dean, that is great information. I'd not read it before. I've never had a K-51 to look at either.

Looking at the photo I got the first impression the disk of the driver was bigger than would be expected of a -V. Part of it is the shadow from the flash. But now that you describe things, that is a ceramic rather than rounded alnico?

So, there is:

55- V with push on terminals which signals the presence of a one part (port) phase plug. Alnico magnet with rounded housing..

55- V with soldered terminals which signals the presence of a two part (two port-ring) phase plug. Alnico magnet with rounded housing.

51 - (blank) with soldered terminals, always two part (two port-ring) phase plug. (I suspect this has a higher resonance which is why it was not used on K-400, but it is only a suspiciion.) This is ceramic, maybe because cobalt not available just then, which was why the -V was not available..

All the above from Atlas.

55-M from EV. Is the phase plug one piece or two? This is certainly ceramic. Maybe the -M refers to both the EV part and the "mud" for the same reasons.

55-X (present day). It is an Atlas. It is Alnico (? for some reason cobalt is available?). The phase plug is (?).

Thanks for any clarifying info.

Gil

The K-55X is exactly the same alnico driver as the early, push pin terminal K-55V. We watched Trey converting Atlas PD-5VH drivers to K-55X by sticking logos on the backs of them at the factory last year.

The "M" indicates made by Electro-Voice.

The "V" indicates made by Atlas.

The "X" is unexplainable.

To continue: the "E" is Eminence Kentucky.

The "P" is Paducah, Kentucky.

The "B" is Brownsville, TX

The above may or may not be correct. I read that here on the forum.

Bob Crites

Bob is correct: the K-55-X is exactly the same as the old style K-55-V spring-loaded, and it has all the K-55-V's problems, including the one-piece phase plug and great difficulty with frequencies higher than 4500 Hz. The K-55-X may even have the famous "glitch" at 9000 Hz often discussed on this forum, but I can't say that for sure. The only thing the K-55-X has over the current Atlas PD-5VH is higher quality control.

I've often wondered why Atlas and/or Klipsch would deliberately take a step backward in quality by going back to the one-piece phase plug in the PD-5VH/K-55-X instead of continuing with the obviously better two-piece plug.

Because Atlas no longer makes the version with the two port phasing plug.

Remember that Klipsch dropped the crossover point between the squakwer and K-77-F to 4500Hz. Also, the new AK-4 filter is an optimized varient that includes EQ, impedance correction, and much steeper slopes.

I certainly don't know the difference between the various drivers, but that ALK network is a thing of beauty, though. I'm convinced now more than ever that once I can resurrect my stock '79 Cornwalls to a larger room, I'm replacing the old worn crossovers with Dean's redesigned networks!

Well, dang it, Dean, my question is WHY Atlas stopped making it, since it was a better version than the K-55-V spring-loaded type. The two-piece phase plug version would have sounded better and extended higher than their current PD-5VH, so why not make that version?

I know Klipsch dropped the crossover point to 4500 Hz, but isn't that BECAUSE the K-55-X has the one-piece phase plug like the spring-loaded K-55-V and, allegedly, neither of those goes past 4500 Hz very well. If Klipsch had used the two-piece K-55 version in the new Heritage, they wouldn't have had to drop the crossover point, I don't think.