Denon 4800 owners.....please read

myram

When I switch inputs or turn off the 4800.....it is making my subwoofer pop. It will only do it the first time you switch inputs.....after that it doesn't seem to do it until you turn off the unit.

Does anyone's 4800 do this, or is mine due for a service call? Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? What some possible cures could be?

I was thinking about installing a Monster Power SW200 that protects the subs power supply, and the rca inputs.....it would put filters on them and maybe stop this from happening.

------------------

Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by myram on 10-24-2001 at 08:00 PM

Hi Steve,

Although I don't have a 4800, my setup does the same thing with my sub. I've got a 5800 and a Paradigm Servo-15. I'm assuming that our subs are thumping when they first sense a signal and come alive, which would explain why there's no thumpage when switching inputs.

My setup didn't thump until I started using the Paradigm X-30 crossover. When I was using the Denon's LFE output, my sub didn't thump. Now that I'm using the main outs into the X-30, I've got a the thump. I see (in your nice linked equipment list Smile.gif ) that you've got an SVS sub. Is your SVS hooked up to the LFE or the main outputs? If it's the L/R pre-outs, that could be the reason for our thumpocity. I think the solution to this is a sequential turn-on with a delay, like some of the power centers do.

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

Ross......

It turns out that Denon receivers are known for this happening to them. It is a faulty circuit for muting the sub when switching inputs. I am bringing it in for service tomorrow, and getting a loaner while it is gone.

It sounds as though you might want to bring yours in for service too, I am assuming that enough "popping" of the sub might do some damage to it.

------------------

Home Theater Page