CobraFlex patent

D-MAN

Internal view of the cobreflex.

An assembled unit has a stiff cardboard piece that splits the path of the section close to the throat, (i.e. a center divider). A rubber gasket separates the top and bottom half to prevent metal-to-metal-contact.

post-14184-13819283937812_thumb.jpg

You have to download the TIF viewer from the USPTO website in order to view the images (its free).

Don't tell me you want me to convert them to .jpg's and upload them! That is a lot of work (which is why they are not already here)![;)]

DM

Some food for thought - did you ever read a PWK paper or DFH where he tested and said something good about someone else's product?

I get a particular kick out of the often reported "doesn't go below 70Hz", which he seemed to apply to every competitive product.

What would you expect?

DM

Some food for thought - did you ever read a PWK paper or DFH where he tested and said something good about someone else's product?

I get a particular kick out of the often reported "doesn't go below 70Hz", which he seemed to apply to every competitive product.

What would you expect?

DM

True enough...but the folding scheme is more 'violent' than was/is acceptable, before or since for a 'hi-fi' MF reproducer. This and that wacky mailing-tube folded midrange in the EV Patrician were not successful, otherwise we'd see their progeny all around us. The consensus of mature engineering thought is that folding is unacceptable for MF and HF horns for 'hi-fi'work.

I saw a lot of time and money being poured into old technological dead-ends like this when I was a subscriber to Speaker Builder.

Boom3,
Maybe you should give the cobreflex a listen, and not at the airport..

I actually prefer it over my EV SM120 and 511B, using the same driver.

About 3 years ago, there was a thread called Installing Mike's 511B, where a couple of forum members did listening tests on the cobreflex, 511b and the K-400 horn. The cobreflex was the first choice and the K-400 the dead-end.

I am not sure if too much is made of the bending/folding causing audible problems. the graphs and people's listening tests seem to say "NICE"...

I remember similar issues with the Jubileee...while PWK may have been critical of the cobraflex for its bends he also claimed one of the benefits of the jubilee was that it had fairly flat extension all the way up to 1,200hz, way higher than common wisdom says you should cross over a bass bin...I think dean commented that though the jubilee can go up that high he would never cross over that high since it would surely sound bad (forgive the loosely remembered quote from dean if somewhat inaccurate). I on the other hand assumed it should sound fairly good that high up just as I assume the cobraflex sounds pretty good throughout its range since frequency response and listening tests seem to confirm...oh never mind...

tony