Bob's new song birds

Dave:

"Isn't that a wonderful thing? Didn't you KNOW at that moment they'd sound great, even though there was absolutedly no other evidence other than the tactile and visual rush you experienced?"

I hope things go smoothly with this move. I don't know, I suppose I often look at things on different levels. The new driver and horn was like that for me, as well. It was interesting from a design perspective, as well as an example of excellent craftsmanship. Because of things I made myself, however, I've learned that those traits may not always directly translate into similarly high performance. I sure don't want to overwork this idea, but what I'm saying is that there were times in the past where I found something to be designed and put together well from a structural standpoint, but fall short when put to work. Some years ago I made an amplifier that on paper seemed like it would be outstanding, and I would like to think it was reasonably well-built, but I was not at all comfortable with its performance. In contrast, the pair of digital Teacs I have been using lately have the weight of shoe box, and don't have any of the usual physical traits we look for in 'hi-end' equipment -- thick faceplates, enormous power supplies, giant output transformers, hard wood trim, etc. But they provide, overall, probably the most life-like and realistic sound we have had. I have heard lots of tube amplifiers, PP and SET, some of which have been and are also very good. The Teac is a special component, though, and it taught me some things about current audio technology and the relationship between cost and performance.

I totally agree on the quality of those vintage meters and mikes, and yes, we should get together sometime when you all are settled in.

Erik

I know what you mean. I was speaking not just of very good or even excellent feel and construction, but really transcendental stuff...like the RCA's, Westons, etc.

It was your experience with the cheesy little Teac's that caused me to be open to digital amplification. I purchased a Panasonic SA-XR 45 receiver for 127.00 delivered last May. I had been using a Mc 2100 with my Super PAS-4 preamp for "routine" listening and my ST-70 (Van Alstine rebuilt and Craig examined) for serious. I was not prepared for just how good that thing sounded, in spite of weighing only 7 lbs and being the TI, not the vaunted TriPath, chipset. I immediately ditched all my SS amps for good. I've never heard an SS amp at ANY price that sounds as good as this little toy. At these prices, I can string all my Frazier inventory all over the place and have a system for every purpose! Of course, my ST-70 will still be in a place of honor near my Klipsch flagship system, but it won't need to work except when hornheads gather or on cold winter nights when my wife wants to cuddle with a glass of wine, some torch standards, and the warm glow of tubes.

Logic says nothing should sound that good at the price. %&(#@ logic. I listen with my heart, not my head.

Dave

I know what you mean. I was speaking not just of very good or even excellent feel and construction, but really transcendental stuff...like the RCA's, Westons, etc.

It was your experience with the cheesy little Teac's that caused me to be open to digital amplification. I purchased a Panasonic SA-XR 45 receiver for 127.00 delivered last May. I had been using a Mc 2100 with my Super PAS-4 preamp for "routine" listening and my ST-70 (Van Alstine rebuilt and Craig examined) for serious. I was not prepared for just how good that thing sounded, in spite of weighing only 7 lbs and being the TI, not the vaunted TriPath, chipset. I immediately ditched all my SS amps for good. I've never heard an SS amp at ANY price that sounds as good as this little toy. At these prices, I can string all my Frazier inventory all over the place and have a system for every purpose! Of course, my ST-70 will still be in a place of honor near my Klipsch flagship system, but it won't need to work except when hornheads gather or on cold winter nights when my wife wants to cuddle with a glass of wine, some torch standards, and the warm glow of tubes.

Logic says nothing should sound that good at the price. %&(#@ logic. I listen with my heart, not my head. Thanks, Erik.

Dave