Need help with painting (or advice not to!) an in-wall grill...

tobasco

I posted this in Architectural, but I thought I might get more responses here...

Hi everyone - new to this board. Wish I would have found out about it a few months ago!

I purchased a set of R-5800 fronts and R-5650 rears in-wall speakers. After hearing advice from what I'll now call novices, I tried painting the grill of one of them (the R-5650) to match the wall paint color (my wife's preference). In retrospect, I was the dumb one in not realizing what it would do to the fabric backing of the grill. Hence, I now have one grill that is poorly painted (could only put one bad coat on).

In contacting Klipsch, they told me that they no longer make that grill style and they did not have any left in stock (pretty amazing to me since I had just purchased them a month previous) - so I'm pretty much SOL.

Question 1 - would anyone know where I could still get a replacement grill for a R-5650?

Question 2 - would you still suggest it a good idea or not to paint the grills?

Question 3 - if so, recommendations? Step-by-step directions?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Brad

This is not rocket science. Here is what I would do:

Take speakers apart so that you only have the grill, without any fabric backing.

Spray paint with high adhesion primer and then with your favorite house paint.

If you already painted them, you can try to strip them. 3M has what they call Safest stripper. It is gentler than the normal strippers, but still test it on a small hidden area first to make sure it does not melt anything.

You can replace the fabric, it is just dust protection.

Hi, when I painted the grillz on some generic in-walls, I was doing the walls also. I found it best to use a small nap(3/16") roller that is *not* loaded with a lot of paint, and in fact almost dry. Two coats during the session, covered well.

While I'm not familar with yer model, what's this "fabric" stuff on the back, supposed to do anyways? If it's caught some paint that was unintended, could it be replaced with something similar, and not be noticable? Some pics may help.

Paint removers are available, but may not work well in areas that can't be agitated by a brush. I've used a product called BIX, on wood and metal, that is water soluble, and maybe worth a shot, but check the label for any cautions. A strong stream of water may loosen it enough, or maybe one of those portable steam cleaner thingies.

This info can also be found in any book pertaining to rocket science. [;)]