Will SS .5 surrounds work with KG 3.5s and KV 2?

mistercareful

I am building a surround sound system around a pair of KG 3.5s. I have added a KV 2 center channel and an SVS PB10-ISD sub.I presently have generic surround speakers. According to the Klipsch web site, with the KV2 I should only use KG 1.2,1.5,2.2,2.5,3.2,3.5. I think my seating arrangement would be better served by the multi-directional SS .5s Klipsch is selling through their store on Ebay. The KG 3.5s, the KV 2 and the SS .5 all have a 1 inch polymer dome compression driver tweeters. Does anyone have an opinion on or experience with this combination? I would much prefer to get multi-directional surround speakers if I can do so without running into a timbre matching problem. (And while I'm on the subject, what about replacing the KV2 with a SC .5 center? It also has the same type of tweeter.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the SC/SS.5 are at the bottom end of the Synergy line. Klipsch is correct in the recommendation for matching surrounds. I'd get KG 2.5's and set them up fairly high so they don't point directly at your seating position but don't aim them completely away either. Mixing lines will yield a noticeable timber mismatch however if you run them in the back it is the best way to get away with it just don't mix linhes on your front three.

the SC/SS.5 are at the bottom end of the Synergy line. Klipsch is correct in the recommendation for matching surrounds. I'd get KG 2.5's and set them up fairly high so they don't point directly at your seating position but don't aim them completely away either. Mixing lines will yield a noticeable timber mismatch however if you run them in the back it is the best way to get away with it just don't mix linhes on your front three.

I agree here. Go KG's all the way around. I am really happy with mine. Even the KV 2 performs well, and this was the piece I was most concerned with after reading about how much people like the KV 3 and 4.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses. I decided to keep the KV2 as the center based on the opinions expressed regarding timbre matching being more crucial for the fronts than the rears. I went ahead and risked a noticeable mismatch on the rears by getting the SS .5s. I wanted to be able to have more people in the room hear the surround speakers and hoped the 180 degree dispersion on the SS .5s would accomplish that. They did. I haven't noticed any mismatch yet and with the speakers placed against the back wall, everyone experiences some degree of surround sound. The relative inefficiency of the .5s (90db) compared to the KG3.5s (94db) and the KV2 (92db) required placement near the prime seating positions. I had planned to put them there anyway, so it wasn't a problem. If I need to move them further away, my receiver's adjustments might not go high enough to bring them up to level with the rest of the system. If that happens, I would have been better off with the SS1s and their 94db rating. But the SS1 tweeters are made of a different material and may have increased my odds of a noticeable mismatch. Anyway, the .5s sound great and I'm very happy with them.