Grainy Look to some movies - question

mildodiferousfunk

Hello,

I have a Samsung HL-R5067W Television connected through my Onkyo TX-SR702 Receiver (using component video cables) and I recently noticed a "grainy" look to some movies. I am not sure if this were present before, but just picked up on it. Specifically, while watching War of the Worlds, the picture appears somewhat grainy, particularly in the beginning when the first tripod emerges from under the street and "chases" people. I also noticed it in a few other scenes. I also noticed this in one of Simpson's (the cartoon) DVD's, however do not see this in some of my other movies. Of course, this could be my imagination, but wanted to ask if anyone has had similar experiences, most notably with WOW?

I already purchased a new set of component cables and replaced the old ones to see if it made a difference. I noticed all of this after recently replacing my speaker system with the Reference series. I do not believe the speakers and video issue are related, however only noticed it recently.

I still need to experiment with a few other movies to see if I can find other examples.

Thanks in advance.

Special effects do not look good on the better high def monitors in many cases. The digital special effects cost big bucks and many movies cut corners. They try to hide the defects with dark scenes etc.

Star Wars has the best digital special effects and even George Lucas has less than ideal effects.

The master on older movies is frequently in need of restoration. Hence, the DVD will show all the flaws.

Good component cables will not help; they will merely remove money from your wallet.

The bottom line is that HD DVD will be a mixed blessing.

Bill

Ever since I bought my Mitsubishi Diamond DLP I have noticed this

too. The biggiest thing I have noticed is that the effects

or anything that is computer generated looks almost perfect, but

anything analog (actual images from a camera people, cars, ect)

looks grainy. I can really see it when both are in the same

frame.

Also keep in mind that some channels show 2.35 x 1 aspects in 1.79 x 1 to fill the screen which in effect is zooming in and causing more grainy texture and also loosing half the picture. I hate that when it happens.

JJK