Vintage Carver 500Watt 2 channel amp

theplummer

Just wondering if anyone would be familiar with a vintage Carver 2 channel 500 watt per channel amp. I don't know the model number, but this particular model has a pair red LED's to indicate peak power output, instead of analog meters. I was told this is a very rare meter and not used very much by Carver.

I am thinking about purchasing the amp for a HT Sub amp.

Any opinions of quality of this particular amp. I was told it was one of the first of its kind.

Also, anyone got any idea what this amp would be worth.

About a year ago I brought home from the dealer one of a pair of 250 watt Carver stereo amps in fine cosmetic condition. Took it back the next day because it would cut out at low volume after about 1/2 hour. Maybe it was just a lemon or just plain worn out, someone here suggested I send it in for a makeover since the asking price was pretty cheap from the start..

Can you listen to it first?

I owned a Carver 500t. I don't know if this is what you're talking about. I powered a pair of LaScalas with it for around 4 hours. Ouch. It was very, very, bright. I don't have treble or bass controls so it may have been my set-up? You may want to audition the amp before your purchase. It's all about your ears and what you enjoy. That's what it's all about. Just my 2 cents.

I was able to listen to the amp, although the owner would not let me bring it home to audition it. Instead he hooked it up to a pair of power hungry ribbon speakers. That setup sounded really good, and I was able to see that the amp did not have any problem with headroom.

While I'm here, I feel it necessary to describe the meters a little more. They are more like a single LED inside a thermometer, as power is introduced, the led slides up the scale horizontally. I think with this description, there's got to be someone out there that is familiar with this product.

Ohh, One more thing, in case I forgot to mention, I'm planning on using this monster to drive a custom sub for my HT once its built. ( I know I'm on 2 channel, but I figure this is the best place to find someone knowledgable about this particular Amp.)

Thanks

Sounds to me like a Carver m1.5t or possibly the m4.0t amp. I use to

run my Martin Logan CLS electrostats with the a m1.5t, but moved up to

the A-760x and then the Silver7t monos. The m1.5t would drive the known

difficult load but I could send it into clipping at higher volumes. It

just couldn't handle the ohms with enough current. For most speakers

out their it does very well. I like Carver stuff and have always

thought it was a good bang of the buck.

carver15t.jpg

Well you have me stumped. I thought I knew most all the Carver line,

but I guess not. The early M series used VU meters. The later M

series used the leds, but all were vertical, even the pro stuff.

The TFM and A line went back to the analog meters. So tell me, is it

silver or black, about how tall, are the rack handles make from round

rod or retangular metal pieces? You have my curiosity up now.

Thanks Wardsweb for your input.

The amp is a rack mountable type, silver in color, and the handles are round brushed stainless steel. The amp is very heavy, 50+ lbs., though not very deep dimensionally, with cooling fins sticking straight out the back of the amp. The meters are under glass and the numerical values appear to be etched into the face of the stainless (really COOL)

The owner said that this particular amp was one of the first of its kind, and was what started whatever type the amp is as being this quality. He also did not show me the amp right away, saying that he really did not want to sell it as he is partial to it. Although he wanted to generate capitol to purchase some type of speaker that he wanted to buy, and would part with it. Definately not a Klipscher though.

I'm currently using a Sunfire signature cinima grand 5 and a Theater Grand II. Absolutely love the power. I was always told by my now defunct Klipsch dealer that Klipsch speakers don't need much power, I couldn't disagree more. With the extra power, the Chorus I's have immense depth, something that I was very unsatisfied with the ADCOM for all those years. That's why I'm so interested in this amp. Seems like a decent price, if its comparable to my Sunfire.

I've tried several times to research this amp online, to no avail.

Persoanlly I wouldn't do it. While it is a serious brute force 200

watts per channel, the line didn't get the nickname "flame linear" by

chance. The fuses in the amp are there to protect the amp, not your

speakers. I've seen these dump straight DC voltage into stage monitors

that blew smoke rings as they all were toasted instantly. Even when

they are working you get a very annoying THUMP in your speakers when

you turn it off. A speaker protection relay circuit can be added but

requires you, or someone you know, knows what they are doing to build

one, as the pcb is no longer manuafactured that was used in some of

the other Phase Linear amps that people were using to retrofit the

400/700 series.

Yeah, Ill bet he hooked the Craver up to a ribbon speaker and it sounded good: big ole horn are not ribbon speakers! I wouldnt trust that guy anymore he knows what he is doing with that demonstration. On the other hand, if cheap enough (have you looked at the amps in Parts Express?), bet it would do a good job on a passive sub. Course if you think your big ole horns sound better with power that they arent even using (unless you have a large room and listen at very loud volumes), then maybe he knows his customer. Pardon me if I sound peeved, but mention Carver and my ears start to ring from my years with a 1.5 TFM and walnut-oiled <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cornwall 1s, with b2 crossovers. [:@]

Colin thanks,

As I stated earlier, I'm looking for a high power amp to drive a custom made sub. I won't be using this amp. on anything Klipsch. I'm going to drive 16 or so 15" drivers in a custom made, behind the screen amp and I want plenty of headroom. I thought this would be a reasonably priced answer to that problem.

If I'm reading you correctly, the ribbon speakers are power hogs and won't disclose any backround noise the amp may introduce, like efficient horn loaded speakers do. Am I correct? Again what would be a good price for this If I should proceed?

Well,

I've read enough, This guy must have been serious when he said that he is partial to the amp. He shot me a price of $750.00. To top it all off, one of the meters doesn't work and he said that he can't find a replacement, due to them being manufactured in Europe.

Funny, I searched Ebay and found one in Tennessee with a buy it now price of $45.00.

I'll be passing this "great" deal by now.

Thanks for all you help.

Ok,

Now that I've got the buy it used and save a bundle out of my system, has anyone here heard of eAR brand amplifiers. Apparantly their made in Denmark and sold only by manufacturer. http://www.acoustic-reality.com/ They're offering a 1000 watt Monoblock amp for $899.00 US. and free shipping. This would be perfect for the multi driver custom sub that I'm going to make, If its of any quality.

There's a catch though, they won't ship unless you use a third party money handling operation. This is something I'm not sure about.

Has anyone had the pleasure of trying this product. If this is a turkey also, any thoughts on a modest priced, High power quality, one or two channel amp, preferably with Balanced XLR inputs.

These use the ICEpower module developed by B&O. ICEpower is a

subsidiary of B&O. These amps along with the ones from the

Norwegian Embla Audio, provide momentary high peak power but in general

not huge power. Look at the specs, that can be downloaded at B&O

and ICEPower. This

"1000w." amp, would not even qualify as a 100 WATT amp, by "old school"

measurements. Buried DEEP in the specs, it notes that "if the average

power reaches 85 watts, at 4ohms, at 25c ambient, then

the module will reach it's maximum temperature and temperature

protection will be activated. Think about it, a 10 amp fuse on a 1000

watt amp.

Wardsweb you sure know how to put a buzzkill on my trying to cheap out on an amp. I'm glad your there though. Seemed kinda suspicious to me when eAR was advertising that they only use 15 watts of power at idle. Kinda like trying to enter a yugo into the Daytona 500.

I guess my only option is to spend $2900 on the matching Sunfire 600X2 amp. Unfortunately I heard that there no longer in production. Seems two channel stuff is dying rapidly. any other thoughts on where to look next.