iFi Being Discontinued or Updated ???

arclight

• Moderators

$399 for the iFi is not steep for what we put into the system.

The 2.1s have continued to sell very, very well, despite the fact they've been out for a while. We haven't wanted to mess with a good thing, although product development is continously working on new ideas. We are not simply waiting for the product to die.

The 5.1 market has become very lean, especially in the price point Klipsch would target. We are not in the business of making inferior quality systems, and it's very difficult to compete with companies that do. The future of our 5.1s is a bit foggy at the moment.

The iGrooves continue to sell very well, I'm not sure why the forum doesn't see much activity. Likely it's because forums are a place to go for help, and this system is very reliable and quite self-explanitory. With ProMedia, there are plenty more questions to be asked (soundcard trouble/settings, how do I hook it up to this, etc).

399 was not very steep for what is built into the system but when I worked at the Apple Store it was the most expensive audio system we sold. Based on the more is better idea, it was hard to convince people that these two speakers were better than the 5.1 or 7.1 at bestbuy etc. People see quantity over quality, put some silver paint on that plastic and they look "esoteric" making the woofers the size of tweeters is "haute couture" and making them as slim as possible is "zeitgeist"

Klipsch is in a market full of wal-mart brand speakers and we love to hate it but love it more when it comes to actually buying it but the wal-mart brand speakers are in the homes more often than non.

399 was not very steep for what is built into

the system but when I worked at the Apple Store it was the most

expensive audio system we sold. Based on the more is better idea, it

was hard to convince people that these two speakers were better than

the 5.1 or 7.1 at bestbuy etc. People see quantity over quality, put

some silver paint on that plastic and they look "esoteric" making the

woofers the size of tweeters is "haute couture" and making them as slim

as possible is "zeitgeist"

How true. But also what was observed in Apple, CircuitCity, Sharper Image were poor product exhibits of Klipsch multimedia systems, and ill informed staff as far as multimedia knowledege which is not helpful at all to slightly confused potential buyers. Additionally numerous times I observed Apple Store staff hawking Bose Companion 3's over GMX or iFi. Of course now they try to hawk their own HI-FI. [8-|]

Based on the more is better idea, it

was hard to convince people that these two speakers were better than

the 5.1 or 7.1 at bestbuy etc. People see quantity over quality, put

some silver paint on that plastic and they look "esoteric" making the

woofers the size of tweeters is "haute couture" and making them as slim

as possible is "zeitgeist"

Klipsch is in a market full of

wal-mart brand speakers and we love to hate it but love it more when it

comes to actually buying it but the wal-mart brand speakers are in the

homes more often than non.

I remember quite a few store visitors when viewing the Klipsch iFi for the first time thought the speakers were too big because they were typically placed near a series of ultra compact iPod speakers that all had woofers the size of tweeters. Sorta reminds you of the movie "Elf". The iPod speaker market has produced some rather odd small speaker systems.

An average person that doesn't do there research before buying the speakers will think 399 is steep. If I was to get the iFi before I did any research on it, I would think its very steep for only 2 speakers. I would rather get the promedia 5.1 ultra or the logitech Z-5500. If I knew how great the Sound Quality is on the iFi, then I would think that quality comes first always before quantity.[;)] The iFi is worth every cent with excellent Sound Quality. "You pay what you get"

• 2 weeks later...

The 2.1s have continued to sell very, very well, despite the fact they've been out for a while. We haven't wanted to mess with a good thing, although product development is continously working on new ideas. We are not simply waiting for the product to die.

I was stunned (in a good way) when I walked into a local dealer about a month ago, prepared to shell out $399, and received a steep discount because the iFi was being discontinued. This unit really sounds far better than anything remotely close, in the category of iPod "speakers".

So, that begs the question...with the quality of this unit blowing all competition out of the water, the price being fair, and reviews of the iFi KILL the competition, why was it discontinued?

Oh that response begs a top ten list concerning the decision of discontinuing the iFi.

10: Cause its not using super small tweeters as midranges?

9: Oh its too big, it might not fit in my car to take home.

8: Its not battery operated!

7: Its not white or now black like the ipod!

6: Apple brainwashed me into thinking the Hi-Fi is superior

skips a few

1: Its not bose........

Oh that response begs a top ten list concerning the decision of discontinuing the iFi.

10: Cause its not using super small tweeters as midranges?

9: Oh its too big, it might not fit in my car to take home.

8: Its not battery operated!

7: Its not white or now black like the ipod!

6: Apple brainwashed me into thinking the Hi-Fi is superior

5: Why is the remote battery dead?

4: Its too good a system for a measly iPod!

3: The subwoofer is just enormous!

2: What ever happened to the super remote?

1: Its not bose........

• 1 month later...

The 5.1 market has become very lean, especially in the price point Klipsch would target. We are not in the business of making inferior quality systems, and it's very difficult to compete with companies that do. The future of our 5.1s is a bit foggy at the moment.

The iGrooves continue to sell very well, I'm not sure why the forum doesn't see much activity. Likely it's because forums are a place to go for help, and this system is very reliable and quite self-explanitory. With ProMedia, there are plenty more questions to be asked (soundcard trouble/settings, how do I hook it up to this, etc).

The 2.1's sell because the work, the 5.1 future is foggy because you can't put out a working product. I don't see alot of people asking about how to setup the system rather "it died" in the 5.1 ultra forum. Yes $399.00 is a heck of alot to pay with your recent lack of quality reputation. If you continue to avoid the issue it's not going to go away but only get worse. I tried to find a local dealer but everyone I called who knew of you said "we used to carry them but the went downhill a few years ago and we can't now" I assume that they can't afford to. So keep that propaganda mill going I'm guessing it'll come in handy when Klipsch closes and you need to fill out a resume.

Speaking of propagana . . . the redesigned web Klipsch web site still has the iFi displayed prominently in the Ipod Speakers section! Curious they still say on their specifications "Built from 2005" with no end date.

Perhaps we might see the Spiderman 3 "Venon" version of the Klipsch iFi in the future. You never know! [;)]

Note: Klipsch is currently selling factory refurbished iFi once again under Clearance area as well as several other computer speakers.