Hey Amy, your not in a slump!

oldbuckster

You aren't in a slump, Hollywood is! The amount of poor movies is unbelievable, let's think about it; Remake after Remake, how many times can you do an old movie? Bad movie, bad movie 2, bad movie 3, it doesn't stop. Animation movies, how many of those can you do, although most are better than the films with human actors. What has happened to IMAGINATION, they seem to have lost it, and they are in no rush to find it. Some of the remakes were bad movies before, they are worse now. It is hard to swallow with all that great equipment, and talent, that the film makers have, that they can't produced better films.They certainly know how to market the product, now they should learn how to deliver the goods.

• Moderators

Agreed, although I read "In Cold Blood" last fall for the first time without knowing there was a movie out--that was my real motivation for seeing it!

Award nods are just a bonus [:)]

Agreed, although I read "In Cold Blood" last fall for the first time without knowing there was a movie out--that was my real motivation for seeing it!

Award nods are just a bonus [:)]

Go figure, Crash, Best movie? Think not. Have you seen North Country? Good movie, true story. Capote was good, great acting, true story, also. On the whole, you gotta love DVD's, good video,great sound, no rewinding.

You aren't in a slump, Hollywood is! The amount of poor movies is unbelievable, let's think about it...What has happened to IMAGINATION, they seem to have lost it, and they are in no rush to find it. Some of the remakes were bad movies before, they are worse now. It is hard to swallow with all that great equipment, and talent, that the film makers have, that they can't produced better films.

When it comes down to it, you can blaim the technology for the lack of creativity...one person comes up with a great idea, but it costs a lot of money to develop...the idea gets marketed and then everyone is using the same piece of hardware just so they can compete...and often times, it's the same people being contracted out for their work too.

The same problem is happening in the music world too...there is so much "freedom" with what one can do in the studio, but it all ends up sounding the same because everyone gets forced into using the new stuff. A perfect example is "Time" by Pink Floyd (I think that's the title...it's the one with all the clock sounds). Had that song been made today on modern equipment it would have sounded like crap....why? Because the equipment makes it too easy to make, and thus not enough thought would go into it. When you're sitting there in the studio cutting tape and rigging it up to loop around a mic stand across the studio, you are sure to get it right the first time cuz if you don't everyone will hate you and it'll be a week before your bloody fingers are healed enough to start over. In modern times, you're more likely to go hunt down some clock sounds on the internet and then try to do some processing to make it close to what you were thinking (and then adjusting the rest of the music to compensate). I call it collage art - not intentional art.

It's all about fast product...not quality product. Movies are being cranked out so much faster than they ever were. Film is cheap, disc space is cheap, etc etc...why bother striving for that one perfect take when you can just shoot a bunch of them and "fix it" later in the studio?

The same thing is also happening in the photography world too...guys like Colter are being forced to move to digital where it becomes so easy for them to sacrifice their art.

You can also argue that all of the technology is allowing more "me too" people that don't know what they're doing, but they end up with a "close enough" product that they are able to sell product...the end result is more competition for the true artists, which means an overall reduction in quality (because quality takes time).

Well I suppose that's enough ranting and raving for now [;)]

• Moderators

Yeah, I liked North Country, but it was a little too dramatic and cliched for my taste. And they took A LOT of liberty when saying based on a true story.

I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain yet, so I can't really say what my pick is for best movie. From what I've seen so far, I'd pick Capote.

When it comes down to it, you can blaim the technology for the lack of creativity...one person comes up with a great idea, but it costs a lot of money to develop...the idea gets marketed and then everyone is using the same piece of hardware just so they can compete...and often times, it's the same people being contracted out for their work too.

It's all about fast product...not quality product. Movies are being cranked out so much faster than they ever were. Film is cheap, disc space is cheap, etc etc...why bother striving for that one perfect take when you can just shoot a bunch of them and "fix it" later in the studio?

Quite an accurate point! Hollywood does think that Joe Public wants to see fantastic visual and sonic representations of someone's story concept, but what is usually missing is the actual story itself. CGI has turned into a rich man's substitution for actual story content.

Now we know in some cases without CGI you could never present the story as the author/director imagined it, but in too many recent examples the studios thought they had a automatic money machine when they went overboard with CGI. This is why I go out of my way watching out for various classic movies to come out on DVD. Its true they dont make movies like they use to!

Flash, Boom, Bang, that's what movies have become, and when that doesn't work, you can always depend on nudity, young, beautiful young women. On top of all that, why don't we see how many swear words we can use. I realise that people,(myself included) use profane language, that doesn't mean it's right, but some of these movies families are watching together, and the swearing is awful. I am not a N. Cage fan,(Face-off was great) but National Treasure, a good movie, has NO swearing, no nudity, and was a decent film. The consumer is really to blame for buying Hollywoods product, if they can sell that type of product,and make money,Why not? We need to refuse to buy inferior movies, make them use some Imagination when planning and making movies, and clean up their act.Movies are supposed to be an artform, not a handbook on bad taste. Before I go, just saw a trailer for Poisiden,(hope I spelled it right) another Remake. How many times is that 3 or 4?Does it ever end, remake, after remake?What's next a Tim Burton remake of Poisiden?

times like this make me go into my movie library and watch some past good ones..

Recently I am watching my baseball movie collections to get into the spirit...

also added HS sport movies ....like coach carter and friday night lights...

Sometimes ya just have to watch a movie a second time when there is crap on market..

and for a change of pace..listen to director soundtrack...