Two questions pertaining to the RB-61s....

WolfsBane

First, has anyone had an opportunity to hear them yet? I'm interested in them to possibly make them my main speakers in a 17' x 18' room, (about medium size). To me, floor standing speakers would simply be overpowering in a room this size. They will be used for both, HT application as well as music, (and I'm pretty darn picky about how my music sounds... ). I'm interested in getting a set of Klipsch that can image well in this amount of space. I'm planing to mate them to an RC-52 center, RW-10 sub, and I'm looking at possibly some RSX-5s to mount them on a high shelve as my surround speakers, (the ball jointed stand in these speakers would allow me to place and point them for optimum sound). I will be driving the speaker system using a Yamaha HTR-5660, (90 watts RMS per channel)

Second question... for various reasons, I'm interested in laying the mains, (possible RB-61s), on their side, but I have some concerns on whether or not the fact that they have a 90 x 60 horn configuration will matter. If I lay them on their side, will this drastically change the way they would sound? If not, will it make a difference if the horns are laid to the inside of the room, or to the outside?

Any inputs would be very greatly appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud owner of a set of Klipsch Promedia 4.2 THX.

I auditioned the 61's in Dallas, they sounded great to me, but I don't declare myself to be an audiophile expert.

That said, my room is 18 feet x 20 feet, not much larger than yours and

I bought RF-82's which are paired to a Yamaha RX-V757 (100 watt X 7) so

I can tell you, floorstanding will not be too much soundwise. As

for asthetics, that is a personal choice, I thought the 82's would be

too big and my wife threw a fit when she saw the boxes coming in the

door but after the speakers were placed, and we both heard them, we

agreed, anything smaller would have looked out of place and never given

as rich a sound.

I have no idea about the side vs. upright issue.

Yamaha RX-V757

RF-82 mains

RC-62 center

CDT5800 rears

CDT5650 side surround

RW-10 sub

AW-650 for the neighbors [:D]

I'm pretty sure that turning them on their sides could alter the sound, as I think the horizontal/vertical dispersion flares on the tractix horns are slightly different, but I could be wrong....

Also, the space question...I toyed with getting RF-83's for my music room and was concerned about space, since its' + 12x16. I called and talked to Klipsch Tech Support and decided that Cornwall III's were a better match to the space. Flipside is that I used to run RF-7's in my small space and was astounded at how great they sounded compared to the RB-75's and RF-5's I tried before them.

Hope that helps...

I suppose that it wouldn't be the brightest of ideas to try to drive a set of RB-51s, (75 watts RMS), from the Yamaha at 90 watts RMS per channel?

Heideana... did you have the RB-75s and RF-5s mated to a sub? Or was it more a matter of presence that the RF-7s conveyed compared with the other two speakers? In my case, because of the furniture in the room, my space is kind of limited for floor standing speakers, but I'm weighing all my options.

No subwoofer, so consequently I thought the RB-75's and RF-5's were pretty bass-anemic. The RF-7's were magical and 3-dimensional once I got them placed to my tastes (thanks to Dr Who's advice), but then they were about 3 ft. from the wall, took up a bit too much space and dominated the room, so I moved them into an upper floor bedroom/TV room that's much larger where they happily integrated with an RC-7 and a pair of KG 1's on a Denon 2805.

I was really worried about overwhelming my small room, which is why I called Klipsch Support to get their advice. Another option they suggested for my situation was a pair of Heresy III's with a sub-woofer for a great, focused-image without taking much space. You might want to call them and get their perspective as well.

Hope that helps...