In-Wall Speaker Evaluation

reflog72

I am in the process of finishing my basement and I am in the process of planning the HT. I want to get the Synergy 6 system, but SAF is low because of the black rear sats. I can score big points by going wiht an in-the-wall speaker, but I don't want to compromise the sound to any significant amount. Have any of you used Klipsch IW speakers as part of a HT system? In particular the IW-150's, but any others as well (Klipsch or others)? I have a number of other questions as well, but this is where I need to start.

Thanks for any insight.

Reflog,

I did a couple of HT's using the newer model synergy in-walls (I don't think klipsch makes the IW-150's anymore) they all sounded incredible for HT. You might try taking a listen to boston accoustics' in walls (300 series) and maybe some of the paradigm stuff as well. In most cases I would choose the klipsch over the others but we'll let your ears decide.

****whatever you choose get the rectangular models and noy the rounds( due to the design the round models generally have less output at the same power levels).

Hope this helps,

Da Hog--

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

***Needed VPI HW Series Turntable*** Anybody Sellin'?

First off, and this IS very important too, I would listen to your options and a/b them too. The biggest problem people do in a "in wall install" is to go too small of a speaker. This includes matching problems with frequency response wise, and SPL's that are characteristically different than the other speakers used. By all means, if you have Klipsch and like it, STAY with Klipsch for the surrounds.

The newer formats in Dolby Digital etc., etc., have full frequency responses all around. You WILL hear it, if your surrounds are sub par/ below average and ruin your whole HT experience.

The 100% "Perfect" setup, would be a room full of the same high quality speakers all around and a good sub.

Thats how and why Bose Eek.gif, sells so many surrounds because of the speakers all being the same. It just sounds good, all around you. Even if it is crappy Bose- YUCK, PITEWEY, BARF, BARF, BLOWS>>>>

I have had, on several occasions, heard excellent Klipsch in walls (probably the bigger ones Klipsch makes. Not little round ones, but big rectangles.) The new reference series look great too. Although our local store has had them for 3 months now...They STILL are not hokked up!!!! They fit almost seemlessly in the walls of a HT setup and through the good use of a sub woofer, it was pretty amazing to me. You can also paint the grills if you want to match wall covering/ designs too.

Anyways just make sure your happy. Many people in the building of a HT stage nail em into the studs...temporarily, and sit where they are gonna be to give it a final listen through. << I know it will sound different later,.,,, But all the components will...for those of you who want to argue this 1st listen soundcheck...LOL..>>

Good luck

Hog & IKF,

Thanks for the info. I have purchased a Klipsch center already and will probably stick with Klipsch for the entire system. I would like to have the larger surrounds, but I am having diffculty convincing my wife that appearance is not as important as performance. I did see the Quintets out on Ubid last night very cheap and may bid on a pair of the those for the surrounds. If I don't like them, they are cheap enough that I can switch to in-walls later.

Thanks for the input,

Reflog