Velodyne SPL1200 - Opinions?

bacevedo

I am looking at the Velodyne SPL1200 sub. I am wondering if anyone here can post any of their thoughts on this sub. Is there a huge difference between the SPL 1200 and HGS 12? (What about the FSR12?) Or is it more subtle?

I have found the SPL 1200 online for $750 (B Stock Factory Refurbished) at onecall.com. Does this seem like a good deal? It does to me. It doesn't really bother me to buy a factory refurbished item, as long as it has the same warranty. I was going to call them and make sure everything is on the up and up, and find out what their definition of B-Stock is. I don't want scratch and dent!

Can anyone comment on the sub itself, any experiences with onecall, and buying B-Stock items?

All info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

P.S. I have been patiently waiting for the RSW12, but it is taking so long, and the price on this sub is about half! Plus, I just don't think an active rear firing driver will work in my set up. I have the sub in a media niche, and I want to keep it there! A front firing sealed sub will work better for me, and the SPL 1200 has documented tests to show it's a great performer!

Thanks,

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 - Sub (hopefully an RSW12 whenever they come out!)

Monster Power Conditioner HTS1000

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

I have had a Velodyne HGS 12 and loved it. I sold it and bought a Paradigm PW 2200. I like the PW peaks that the Velodyne Didn't have but I miss the LOW bass from the Velodyne. Anyway, the Vels are really good subs.

I think the SPL 12 specs would be closer to that of the HGS 15 rather then the HGS 12 as far as output but the HGS subs are CLEAN! Here is some info on the HGS and SPL 12 as tested by Tom Nousain with a 10% THD limit. The HGS 12 specs would be about 6 db less then the HGS 15 across the board and the FSR 12 or FSX 12 would be just about the same across the board with the HGS 12.

Velodyne FSR 15 - 109.1 / 16hz ~ 90.1 / 25hz ~ 103.1

Velodyne HGS 15 - 107.7 / 16hz~89.1

Velodyne SPL 12 - 107.1 / 20hz ~ 90 / 25hz ~ 99

SVS 20-39cs - 109.5 / 20hz ~ 91 / 25hz ~ 105.8

(w/ 300 watt amp) ($850)

HSU VTF-2 - 107.1 / 20hz ~93 / 25hz ~ 99 ($450)

I have made purchases from Onecall and they are a top rated online store in electronics for good reason.

I tossed in some info on the SVS because I like T.V. and his subs are worth mentioning.

This message has been edited by RWMIN on 10-29-2001 at 08:23 PM

At this price you cant go wrong.The Velo SPL1200 packs some serious HT punch.As RWMIN said the HGS is cleaner(the servo control and dual push pull voice coils help).Not to say the SPL1200 is slow or boomy.

I heard the SPL1200 and it sounds alot like the Sunfire subs.Huge bass in a very compact cube.For HT its hard to do better,for music it simply needs to be cut low.

If the sub is not damaged and has the full warranty dont hesitate.Very good buy.Go for it.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks guys!

I got authorization from the boss! I ordered it last night, and it should be here on Friday. For $750, I don't think I can go wrong. Of course an SVS would do favorably here, but in my setup, a large cylinder just won't work!

I notice that the SPL1200 is close to the top of the TN list. That says a lot to me! I am anticipating a huge difference from the KSW 12 to the SPL 1200. The price difference alone indicates a big jump in class, so the performance should be exactly what I am looking for.

I can't wait!

Bryan

Let me tell you someting Bryan,you will hear and feel the true bass power and sub bass from the SPL1200.

I have the KSW12 also and even the KSW15,wile these subs are good value for the dollar they in no way can match the sub 25Hz bass output you get from the Velos and Sunfires.And the later are very compact,most guests will be amazed at all the sub bass coming out of the SPL1200!

I have a similar product the Sunfire Signature,the Sunfire simply outclases the KSW series subs by a mile.

The Sunfire digs deep and hits hard,over 118dB at 25Hz in my room(one sub,along the front wall).My room is very small,still almost 120dB is impressive and will make you buy Aspirin to kill the pain. Smile.gif

The tiny Sunfire Junior(the one on TN's list)gives around 102dB at 30Hz.The Sunfire Mark II gives 111dB at 25Hz.The KSW12 belts out 107 at 30Hz before saying HELP,the KSW15 goes up to 114 at 30Hz.Down low the KSW subs simply dont have it,the Velodynes and Sunfires pump great sub bass to 20Hz,huge output at 25Hz.

The Velodyne HGS-18 gave 122dB at 25Hz!The walls were distorting more then the sub!OUCH The Revel B15 gave 124dB at 25Hz(less clean I have to say)still huge for a single "tiny" 15" driver.The SVS Ultras I had on test with the Carver TFM-75(1000W RMS per channel into 4 Ohms )gave around 126dB in my tiny room before I could take no more(at 25Hz always,as no subs can keep the steam rolling at 20Hz and below).The SVS Ultra with a super amp is THE way to go.And its a incredible bragain at under 2.5 kilo dollar.If some figures look high they are,my HT room is 10*14 ! Not big at all.

Next year I have two items on the must have list,the SVS Ultras(2 units with no amp as I have my TFM-75)and the CinePro two channel amp(another bargain).

Oh an I did test all subs at the same time(in phase,LOL)OUF JEEZ OH LORD...SCARY is the word.With all subs working(less the Ultras)the output was over the top,the floor started to do waves(felt like it)and the dB meter peaked.The CD player even if sitting on a solid sand filled stand started to jump!No jokes.

I felt like in a car with a huge sound system blasting the brain cells out.

cwm3.gif

Well enjoy your Velodyne SPL1200,you will discover true sub bass.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks TheEars! That is what I wanted to hear. I am fully expecting to be blown away by this new sub. I don't need as much bass as most - just solid clean bass all the way down to 20hz! I am not trying to raise the roof!

I almost thought about getting two for that price, but I just don't think it will be necessary for what I am looking for. I heard the SPL1200 at the local dealer, and before I even knew which sub it was, I was asking which sub was pumping out that huge bass! Boy was I surprised when I noticed it was the SPL1200 - the one I had my eye on since I first saw it. I compared it to the HGS 12, and in this setup, the SPL1200 was louder. I don't know about cleaner, because it was U571, and we were testing the depth charge scenes. Hard to tell what a clean exlposion under water is supposed to sound like! Smile.gif

However, it had that tight, punchy bass that my KSW lacked! I can't wait until this weekend!

RWMIN - I will let you know how I like it!

Bryan

I got the sub in yesterday, and let me just say, WOW!

No comparison, the KSW 12 is not even close to in the same league as the SPL-1200 (and nobody said it was). But the difference in sound quality is staggering. It is so flat through all the bass frequencies, where the KSW 12 was so loud at like 60 - 80 Hz, the SPL 1200 is really loud all the way down to like 25 Hz. The sound is so clean and tight, very punchy! And even - that is what I would have to see is the biggest difference - not as many peaks as the KSW 12 had - just clean flat bass all the way down.

I haven't even had time to really calibrate it, but I had it cranked, and no distortion on the stuff that the KSW 12 couldn't handle, with much higher volumes to boot!

I am a very happy man - and will be having some fun this weekend!

Bryan

Good to hear you like the sub.

The "tiny" cube subs are very powerful down to about 25Hz.From the Sunfires(Junior,MarkII,Signature) to Velodynes(HGS10,12 and SPL1000 and 1200)these tiny cubes sure pack a mighty punch.

Per cubic inch the larger subs cant compete(only below 25Hz the SVS,Aerial,Revel and company take the lead).

TheEAR(s) Now theears