Crazy projector prices

Tom Adams

Tom, " but was willing to pay the extra $200 for the peace of mind of not having to deal with the thing should it be a bad unit or damaged." I bought mine from Projector People online. They were great to deal with. My first unit had a big green blob on the picture (dust I assume) and they overnighted me a replacement unit and sent me a return label to get the bad one back. Seemed like a very good company to work with. Also, Costco has been selling the AE900 on occasion. Costco offers basically a lifetime no questions asked return policy. If a unit ever died you can just bring it back to them. Shawn

Ahhhhhhh..........but I like to support my local economy. [;)] [:)]

Tom

Tom, "When watching a Star Wars night sky it's darn near impossible to tell where the image stops and the "black bars" begin." What black bars? ;) I run a constant height setup with a 2.35AR screen (and an anamorphic lens) so movies like Star Wars fills the screen. "Are you running in low lamp mode?" Yup, low lamp mode. How dark is the rest of your room? If there is a little light in the room it can 'hide' the black level of the projector. My room is basically a bat cave. Black velvet drapes covering the first half of the room up to the screen, dark dark carpeting, black ceiling, dark red velvet drapes in the back half of the room. The velvet makes the room spooky. You can dim down the lights (still on though) and literally no longer be able to see where the walls are. Don't get me wrong, I'm OK with the black level of the AE900 but it isn't perfect. Perfect is when you put up a fade to black scene and when it is black you can't do shadow puppets on the screen. No digital projectors really can pass that test yet.... though neither can a film projector. BTW, if you haven't played with it try some of the setting combinations listed here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=589234 Shawn

Yeah....well.....in hindsight.....we should've gone with a 2.35:1 screen. But with as cheap as a Carada screen is, I think I'll be able to change to a new screen in 2 years when I buy the latest $2K wonder projector. LOL...........

My room is dangerous when all the lights are out. Ok, maybe it's not THAT dark in there, but it's pretty damn dark. And I know what you mean about lighting helping with blacks. My "movie lighting scene" has the overhead cans almost off, the scones are very dim as are the rope lights under the toe-kick of the stage. Once those were set the blacks appeared even better. I use a different scene (more light) for sporting events since folks are usually in & out getting beer and such.

Oh - and thanks for the links.

Tom

My wife has a H-P projector with the TI chip. She uses it in her work. She asked me to pick up a spare lamp in case one failed during a presentation. Obviously, I did not bring one home when told the cost. We decided just to toss the old projector and buy a new one when the bulb blows!

The whole world seems to be going crazy.

DRBILL

Shawn - Is this the 81-EF filter you are talking about?

http://shopping.msn.com/Prices/shp/?itemId=24099598

(didn't know if there were different versions from different manufacturers, or if only one manufacturer made it...)

Also, I find the tweak threads at AVS Forum daunting, so I'll ask here: I have an AE700. Would that filter be beneficial on it? (I believe you are using it on an AE900).

Thanks!

Doug,

Yup, that one will work. There are multiple manufacturers of them and they are all fine.

The benefits on the 700 are the same as on the 900. You will need to

read some of the 700 thread to fine some of the various settings to try

along with the filter to keep your grey scale accurate.

Shawn