Klipsch 5.1 for home theater?

KnightRT

Is it possible to use a ProMedia Ultra 5.1 in a standard home theater arrangment?

I am strongly considering one of two systems, the Logitech Z-5500 and a Klipsch Ultra 5.1, for a home theater setup with a large plasma screen.

The room is some 15'x25', though the TV will be placed in such a way that I'll only need to cover an area of approximately 15'x15'. This is well within the bounds of these two systems, and Best Buy is practically giving them away at $200. Slightly daft audio nut that I am, I want the set that sounds better; the Klipsch.

The question is, how can I connect this system in such that a way that I get:

1) Full digital DVD 5.1 decoding

2) Remote volume control

?

I don't mind buying an inexpensive receiver if I have to for decoding (because I don't need decent amps, it can be almost anything), but I don't know how to hook it up.

The remote is also a potential dealbreaker. The volume has to be adjustable at a distance, and I don't know how to do this. Is there an aftermarket way to accomplish this, or some other workaround?

Much thanks,

David

Thanks for the link. It appears that person is foregoing the Klipsch amp for those in his receiver. An interesting option, to be sure..

That would solve the remote problem for the satellites. What about the subwoofer? Is it using its own amp in that arrangment? And if so, is the volume directly controlled by the receiver, or by some sort of signal gain?

Thanks,

David

I strongly advise against using PM 5.1 for home theater. The Klipsch multimedia products are designed for nearfield listening; that is about 3' from head to main speakers. When you attempt to fill a large space with the 5.1 system, performance suffers.

Though the Klipsch is a top quality computer speaker system, it was never designed for your application. You're much better off using something like a Quintet III system plus a Sub 10 or the Reference RSX-3's with RW-8 subwoofer. Those products are designed for your application and will make you happier for a far longer time.

I strongly advise against using PM 5.1 for home theater. The Klipsch multimedia products are designed for nearfield listening; that is about 3' from head to main speakers. When you attempt to fill a large space with the 5.1 system, performance suffers.

Though the Klipsch is a top quality computer speaker system, it was never designed for your application. You're much better off using something like a Quintet III system plus a Sub 10 or the Reference RSX-3's with RW-8 subwoofer. Those products are designed for your application and will make you happier for a far longer time.

I absolutely agree with this post. 100% true.

All right, I totally get that it shouldn't be a home theater... but how about if I just want to be watching DVDs on a DVD instead of a monitor (bigger)? How could I go about it so that I could still use my PM 5.1s to play sound? I have a soundcard with optical in and out and the manual (an Audigy 2 ZS) says I can hook it up to a DVD player... shouldn't this work?

if you do wish to do this and do not have an external digital decoder such as the creative DTS or the Klipsch 5.1 Digital Decoder, than you can also just use your computer's DVD rom drive and sound card to play the movie. Place the speakers you have around the desired TV and run video out from the graphics card to the TV. If you do not wish to do this then you possibly may just use a DVD player and run the optical in from the sound card to the optical out on the DVD player and connect the cables from the DVDplayer to the TV as you normally would.

I agree with all the above saying that the ProMedia's are not really meant for an HT system, but I actually use them myself until I upgrade. I have the Klipsch digital decoder connected to the 5.1 ProMedia Originals. They have served me great for a beginners HT setup. I can see why you would wish to use these, I spent 400$ on my set of ProMedias and I'd be damned If I had no more use for them

Hopefully this is of some help.

-Eric