RB25 or RB35?

jgouston

I have a Bose Accoustimass 5 seriea III and an AudioSource 50w center speaker. Recently, I replaced AudioSource center with Klipsch RC-25 center and added a 125w KLH subwoofer. Instantly, Wow. All music and movie sound come from this Klipsch center speaker!

The Accoustimass cubes become dwarf - only produce a little cheap sounds. I decided to upgrade this Bose speakers. Since the budget, I plan to move this Bose Accoustimass to the side as the surround speakers (if the budget allowed, I would total trash the Bose. But for time being I keep it as my new surround speakers which I don't have. Is it a good idea?). And also, I am going to buy a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speaker as my new front speakers.

Since the Center is RC-25, natually I would consider RB-25 as the front. But by reading the reviews and specs, I feel RB-35 may more close to the power/rating of RC-25. So which one I should go with, RB-25 or RB-35? Please advise.

The room is pretty big - 17' x 20' with vaulted ceiling. The receiver is Onkyo TX-SR501. Checked the klipsch web, It says RB-25 matchs RC-25.

As they are on the same reference line and same generation, they should sound very similar. I would take the RB35s as you will get more out from the 2channel musics. And better upgrade path from going on.

The sensitivity issue can be calibrated by your reciever easily, they do not come out exactly the same for every speaker anyway. 1 or 2 db do not affect too much after all.

• Like 1

If your subwoofer is very high quality, then the RB-25's will work nicely. You can choose RB-35's and still have a very good match to the RC-25 center and the L&R will deliver better bass.

You can use the Bose for surround speakers but you'll have to turn them up to match the output of the Klipsch. I assume your receiver offers test tones to perform channel matching. This is best done using a sound level meter such as the analog unit from Radio Shack. Costs less than $40 last time I bought one.