Running a Center Channel...Separate Amps

SilverSport

...alright...you are using separate stereo amps for your home theater...one stereo amp for your mains(L+R)...a matching amp for your surrounds (L+R)...one stereo amp...???...do you run speaker wire from the left and right on BOTH channels into the centers left and right VIA a "Y" connection??? Do you run the left and right from one side and use a shrting plug on the other??? (wouldn't this make your center a "mono" speaker???)...do you use one channel for the center and the other for a subwoofer???...any help would be greatly appreciated...Bill

Use your receiver or processor to create your center channel signal instead of strapping your mains. I would not run both channels together unless the amp is built for bridging. There is nothing wrong with not using an extra channel. If you have enough power for a sub, the other stereo channel could be used for a sub. But subs usually are 500 to 1000 watts as compared to 100 or 200 watts for the center.

Amps do sound different, it is best to match your amplifiers.

In my HT. I run mono MC250s across my front three channels. My sides are driven by a stereo MC250 and my rears driven by a stereo MC2105. As you can see, the McIntosh MC250 can be driven in stereo or mono.

JM

ok, it's me that's having a hard time wrapping my head around this...my brother has 3 Nakamichi PA-7s for his Home Theater...one is powering the front left and right mains...one is powering the rear left and right surrounds...he has to power the center yet and eventually a subwoofer...I think he wants to power the center in the 5.1 with one channel of the PA-7 but I argue this will give him power to his center but the other channel...does he need to use a shorting plug? Use it for the sub???...(I am beginning to see I will lose this argument...losing with honor??? I doubt it...Thanks, Bill

Little bro', I will let you maintain your dignity and honor by saying that I appreciate you asking to make sure I don't "blow up anything". I think once I get the hum out of the one amp and the click/pop on startup from coming through the speakers I'll be set. More of a grounding issue than anything else I think, although the click/pop is a new one since we moved everything around, gonna have to ponder that one for a bit to make sure I don't cause any damage. Anyone with a thought on ridding the system of the startup click/pop through the speakers when the amps are each powered up would be a lifesaver. Thanks again for asking Bill (Silversport), and to everyone who offered their expertise, I appreciate your help!