Reference Speakers and Onkyo Receivers

tdrought

I never read about Onkyo receivers on this board, so, do you know something I don't?

My system includes the RP-5's, RC-3 and RS-3. I am looking at getting the Onkyo 898. The specs include 110 watts x 7 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, THX Select, THX Surround EX, DTS-ES, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Pro Logic II decoding.

At $1500 on Crutchfield, this receiver sounds like a steal. Others have commented that this receiver is overkill for the speakers, but, is there such a thing as too good of a receiver. I think not. I do feel that this is better than the Denons and Yamahas at this price level, but, I'm fairly new to HT.

What do you all think? My quest is for THX.

This message has been edited by tdrought on 10-30-2001 at 01:20 PM

I've had an Onkyo Klipsch Marriage for years.The reciever you are looking at is exceptional. I have found the sound stage of this combination wonderful.The HT capabilities of the Onkyo are impressive.the learning remote is a great feature.if i ever want to be left alone, I just turn it up LOUD and amazingly the room clears.No kids, no spouse, just sanctuarycwm1.gif

------------------

KLF 30s front

KLF 10s rears

C-7 center

Onkyo TX DS787

Onkyo integra M506RS

Onkyo DX C370 6 disc

Just my $0.02

Onkyo makes great recievers,I had the Integra DTR9.1(top of THE damn line)and the sound was on par with the Denon 5800.The Denon has even MORE power and inns and outs.And I prefer the Denon look(3801 and 5800).

Onkyo recievers are well built and sound as good.I would get Onkyo with no reservations.

TheEAR(s) Now theears