Surround change

Northshore

It has been a while since my last post and I have a thought for the collective wisdom to ponder. I currently have RF7's, an RC7 an RW12 and RS35's in my theater, Adcom 7607 amp driving the system which is 125 watts X 7. Now that I have had the system for a year I have that fever again to upgrade something and that something is the RS35's. I have admired the RB75's for sometime now and I am considering the switch with some design challenges I could make those work. I also am intrigued by the R 5800W's, I am looking for insight or experience with these 2 scenarios and also as always looking for opinions as well.

I would add that although my theater is set up with Dalite screen etc. (see system vitals) for movies, I do listen to a great deal of either concert DVD's or music disc.

I switched from RS-7's to RB-75's for my rears in a 7.1 configuration and have to admit it was my least cost effective purchase. They both sound good, but in a rear surround situation (for most things) it was a lateral move. The largest benefit would be on well recorded multichannel music (although I gather some people like to listen to 2 Channel on AVR's multichannel settings) or if your surrounds were directly to the sides of your listening position. IMO, for concerts and movies the advantage would depend on your ears and your room. [H]

Thanks for the insight, I do listen to a fair amount of music on the system and I felt I was missing something with the RS 35's. I also have a 7.1 setup and if I went with the RB 75's it poses a design challenge as I have short side walls and the surrounds are mounted on the sides as you stated. I have a small but growing collection of concert DVD's and an even smaller collection of Super Audio disc(and soon very hard to build on). In the end, I have a bad case of upgradeitis and I believe the RB's may satisfy that feeling for a bit.

FWIW, I would lean towards going for it then. [Y]

I don't regret purchasing the RB-75's for rear surrounds and moving my RS-7's to "B" surrounds (ala my Denon). I prefer my RF-3 towers ("A" surround) to both the RB-75's or the RS-75's for multi channel music and concerts. If additional towers wouldn't work in your setup then I feel the RB-75's would do the job nicely especially if they are mounted on bookshelves on the side. Keep us posted.

I knew going in a year ago that the RS 35's were the weak link in the system and eventually that I would upgrade. I have to agree anything going forward from the 35's will be a significant change in sound quality. At the time it made sense, now simply another upgrade decision. The beauty of our little audio addiction is that my casualty of the upgrade (RS 35's) is someone else's upgrade and so the chain remains unbroken.