Pentium D dual core worth the $...

jdm56

I'm not sure...

I am on a T40 right now, I looked at the x series but no track pad, only the eraser head. The T60 must be fairly new, because when I was negotiating with my new employer, I had a t42 speced out. pretty weird my laptop is going to have more balls than my home pc..

that 1 gig ram should scream.

Hyperthreading is bullshit for intensive apps. this is only a time slice sharing scheme good for non-intensive apps.

you will see true dual core if the application is properly threaded to use two cpu's like premiere or povray. otherwise you can manually assign affinity to certain apps so the OS hogs one cpu by itself and your app runs full throttle on own cpu with no contentions for RAM/CPU access.

go dual core, if you have computationaly intensive apps, big with bigger cache, if just graphics, higher clock speed.

why intel? for price vs. performance they suck compared with AMD. AMD crushes intel in nearly every 64-bit benchmark around and is cheaper.