Bought X-FI sound card now what?

dakayus

Hey guys, I just bought the creative x-fi xtreme music version and I just realized there's not spdif connections on it. So how should I connect this to my sound system now? I didn't buy a receiver yet. I'm going for a 2.1 system. Umm... oh yeah there's a place to connect something that looks like an lcd monitor to it on the sound card. Geez... I feel kind of stupid. I didn't want to buy something cheap like teh Audigy 2 zs, but in retrospect it might have been bad. Thoughts guys?

hi sorry I did not see theis earlier. I have the new xfi and run a hk3480 stereo reciever and a pair of rf-83

BTW i'm not dinosaur, I am 21.

The xfi does have digital out. Depending on what model card, the xfi platinum and the 400 dollar one have both opitcal and rca style. The xfi regular has the digital out but you need a splitter. The 1/8 mini stereo jack to rca (white and red) I think it was the red you need to connect to a standard rca cable if you want to do it cheap or buy a sp/dif cable. Then enable the digital out. BTW I believe the digital out is the right most socket, that one stupidly does the mic, digital out and line in instead of having them separate..... I am pissed off thatI brought a dayton cable and the pin is soo large it will not allow the mic in to be next too... Creative put the sockets too close. The thing that looks like an lcd screen is for that crazy model that cost 399.

Also you need to enable digital out on the creative soundcard menu

ok i got one more question for which one would sound better. One enables me to use spdif the other is analog (I think). I just don't want to connect too much crap in fear of lowering the sound quality.

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=13&subcategory=55&product=14309

or

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=13&subcategory=55&product=1780

the analog you need 3 cables I got the dayton 1/8 mini stereo to rca 12 feet for 15 dollars? well made and sheilded at partsexpress.com But this is due to the lack of digital in for my reciever.

Anyways it all depends, the spdif is convienant for home teahter 5.1 systems but they sound about the same. DrWho though said go with sp/dif route.... eh do it that way I think will be better. Just my reciever is stereo so no need and does not have the digital in also.