Is there such thing as a distortion free sub???

Underhanded Penguin

My guess is probably no, but I had to ask anyways. I'm guessing any subwoofer pushed to its max would produce some sort of distortion, but what about that buzzing/hissing sound on the amp when you have it playing really low and LOUD? Is that considered distortion? I've experienced it on every single sub that I have auditioned. Mind you I haven't auditioned many subs, but I've heard the entire Paradigm pdr, ps, pw, and servo 15. Every single one produced this buzz/hiss at very high volume levels. AS well as the entire klipsch ksw series, and monitor audios right up to the 3000 dollar one..do not know what the model number is... although the higher end the sub, the longer it takes for this buzzing and hissing to be noticeable. And in truth, you can only really notice it when you are close to the back of the sub where the amp plate is. Does anybody know what I am talking about??? It's such a little thing, but if I can find a sub that does not do that, I am willing to pay through the nose. Okay I'm kidding, but I will pay up to 2 grand. Any suggestions? Ears? If none of you have noticed this with the stuff you are listening to, then my music must have some killer f@$#ing bass... and admittedly, it does.

-UP

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!

LOL

T%o answer the general question...NOPE

All subs distort,no matter how much you pay.The more expensive use servo monitoring like the Paradigm Servo-15,Velodyne HGS series(velodyne is the pioneer here)and some other subs.

If you are ready to spend up to 2 grand for a sub...CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to the MEGA BASS Ear(s) Maniacs Club. Smile.gif

The Velodyne HGS-15 or 18 would be my choice.These subs have limiters and will not distort as all the non servo controled do.Even the mighty SVS Ultra,Aerial SW12,Sunfire Signature and Revel B15 reach thier limits and say PLEASE LOWER THE DAMN VOLUME YOU FREAK.

Their limits are very far,far up the dB scale.Still the big Velodyne HGS-15 and 18 can still produce some awesome and chasm deep bass.The limiters will kick in and the distortion remains very low at all volume levels(the sub will not play louder when the limit is reached).

This is both great and bad!Why? Simple as I said before any sub(speaker)with limiter circuit will cut the dynamics.The SVS Ultra as well as the Revel Ultima subs have no such nasty limiters!They have incredible fast and punchy bass.The problem is if you let yourself go wild and turn the volume way up you may damage the drivers.My Carver TFM-75 can output 1000W RMS into 4 Ohms(SVS Ultra)...THIS IS MORE THE DRIVER CAN TAKE(not on peaks,on peaks its no problemo).

When the driver reach their limits you can damage the voice coil with pure power,the amp can clip and toast the driver or the voice coil can hit the magnetic structure(not very common,the SVS Ultra and Revel Ultima drivers can move BIG time befire they reach their limits).

Well again I would get the SVS Ultra with the Samson 1000 amp.Good combo.

The velo HGS-15 would be the safe choice.Limiters prevent the brainiac from any damage.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I'm not sure if waht you're hearing is actually harmonic distortion...or just some type of other noise.

If it always comes out around the built in amp...it could be a small air leak. even the best built amps can have small *swissssssss* of air coming out from behind the control knobs. This shouldn't be audible of course...unless you had your head next to it playing a sine wave very loudly...Smile.gif

A distortion free sub would be nice...but being as it doesn't exist...the next best thing would be a subwoofer that doesn't add AUDIBLE distortion to the input signal up to the volume levels/extension you desire.

TV